Gov grant towards ASHP

Hi all

I just received a quote for ASHP in the portal barn conversion we are planning. The contractor says we don't qualify for the £5k grant as we are a new build. But if we are a new build, surely we would then qualify for VAT relief? The conversion cannot be a new build for one Gov scheme and not for other. Am I missing something?

The contractor seems to be talking BS.

1/ A barn conversion is not a new build. [unless per VAT rules, you demolish it to the foundations, which arguably is what majority of barn conversions should really do]

2/ Self-builds ARE eligible for the BUS grant, it is only "developer" built houses that are not eligible.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-boiler-upgrade-scheme/check-if-youre-eligible

If you own a self build property

Your self build property is eligible if:

• you or the original owner built it yourself or you paid a builder to build it
  • it’s never been owned by a business or organisation

You’ll need to show your installer proof that your property is a self build, for example, a copy of the title deeds.

But this is irrelevant to you due to #1.

Do you have an EPC for the existing property? As it's a barn it might not yet have one, which could introduce some confusion as it's not a clear "boiler upgrade" case, nor a complete new build.

Although as an aside, there's no requirement the HMRC VAT relief definition of new-build and the ofgem BUS grant defition actually agree, so there's certainly a possibility a build might not qualify for either

Edited by joth

just finished my new build , and we recieved the 5000 or my plumber did.. .after submitt8ing the forms

taken from gov website.. new builds as in developers , not applicable 

How does this affect self builders?

While homeowners in new builds are not able to apply, self builders are eligible, and will have a three month period in which to apply. In addition, self builders won’t need an Energy Performance Certificate, which is a requirement for existing home owners.