Remove cooker hood chimney - how?

I thought this was going to be a 5 minute task but... how the blazes does it come off?

The guide I found said remove the 4 screws (shown by arrows) then slide up the bottom part and lift off. Then undo 2 more screws and remove the top part.

So much for theory.

cooker-hood.thumb.jpg.c2f48f9435df2c57d53fb1408f835c2b.jpg

cooker-hood-2.thumb.jpg.f1ac002ae42084deb75e992f18b2cd40.jpg

The screws were inserted badly and screwheads burred. 30 minutes to get all 4 out.

Chimney doesn't move. Ah been painted to the wall. Break the seal with a chisel

Chimney doesn't move. Bit of wiggle from side to side but no up/down movement

What's the trick? I'm trying to avoid using a crowbar as I'm aiming to put it back up after attending to the pipe inside.

The chimney if you look is two pieces one slides inside the other like a telescope.  If they won't slide easily is there more paint / ither sealant got in the gap between the two parts?

The bottom part needs to slide up, get a screwdriver, chissle etc under it to try and get it to slide.  Only when you have lifted it a bit to clear the lip of the lower fixed part of the hood, can you spring the sides of the chimney apart and pull it forward to get it off.

Watch out for sharp edges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

Watch out for sharp edges.

They are very sharp, and the metal will be wobbly and quivery when released. I got a very deep cut while fitting one, and that was on the factory edge.

The screws are into brackets fixed to the wall.

Thanks chaps, a screwdriver under the bottom was what I needed. It slid up easily and then I could spring out the sides - not so easy! No cuts though.

It's always good to see a cable appearing randomly from the middle of the wall. Plus S-shaped ridged ducting, a 125mm pipe (not sealed to the wall) with a 100mm one inside (not sealed to the larger pipe) - and a gap between wall and ceiling with a draught coming through.

Plenty to seal up for now, and I want to enlarge this to a 150mm hole before fitting a new cooker hood.