How to ensure good tile adhesion - should I wet the wall?

Rob99

Just about to tile one wall in the downstairs loo with 300x100 wall tiles.

It's plasterboard which has been emulsioned previously so I've sanded it with a power sander (using 80 grit paper) which hasn't removed the whole paint (it's at least 3 layers) but has started taking some of the top coat in places. I'm also going to score the whole area with a stanley knife in a criss cross pattern.

Hopefully that should mean the tiles will stick OK. I'm using Weberfix Plus pre-mixed adhesive recommended by the tile supplier but I wondered whether dampening the area by wiping with a wet cloth will improve adhesion or not? If not, any other tips?

Cheers

Edited by Rob99

You need to prime these first, or the wet tile adhesive will just reconstitute the paint and the lot will fall off.

https://underfloorheating-direct.com/ultra-prime-it-multi-surface-primer-39579-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQiAutyfBhCMARIsAMgcRJQDAkGRyn7AGC0-kosxI8Zl65oB8HirM96KPIT0ylPVK_u1EfnNRp8aAlUFEALw_wcB

50/50 with water and apply from a bucket with a sponge, with the solution not quite running down the wall. Wait an hour, then apply neat and leave to dry. After prob an hour or two you should be good to go.

• Thanks 1