Removing sidelight glass from door frame

bungledlow

Hello

I have a timber front door with sidelights either side. The sidelights are already installed, I understand this is standard practice for transport to keep the frame square. See images.

However I now need to install the door, which was fine for the back door without sidelights as I could screw through the frame. The sidelights are in the way for this door though. 

I have found that you could use metal brackets instead of screwing the frame however I also would like to remove the glass to install multipoint lock keeps.

Is it a case of using a putty knife to prise off the bead around the sash?

Or just get a glazier to do it?

Presumably it is normal to have to do this with sidelights if they are delivered installed?

(Feel free to move to the "doors" sub-forum if that's more appropriate!)

IMG-20230213-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20230213-WA0001.jpeg

Bracket fix, why would you want to screw through the frame? Only screw through the frame if no other alternative in all honesty. Removing the beads, you'll need to be careful removing the excess silicon, if you catch the edge of glass and it shatters, it's a new pane required. Toughened glass's weakest point is the edges. 

You'll also need to be careful when putting the bead back on and pinning it, the pin should arc back away from the glass and usually would be done in factory with different type of nail gun. You'll need to do this with a hammer and pins and straight and will need to be careful not to nip the glass. You'll then need to silicon again as it looks like a wet sealed system. Why would you need to remove the glass to install multipoint lock keeps? Does the door not already have multipoint locking?

• Thanks 1