Taking the leap ?

Painy

Hi all, thought I'd give this a go although I'm not very clued up with this kind of thing.

i run jobs for my father-in-law which ranges from new builds to renovations, I'm a qualified Chippy and plumber and can also do bricklaying and have a reasonable knowledge regarding other aspects.

i bought a house which was built in 1909 which had a lovely size garden ( unlike new builds) , my plan after renovating the property was to put a nice size extension on the side but then realised I could actually get a detached house the same size as we have in the garden, I won't bore you with all the hassle I've had getting planning ( you couldn't write it ? ) but I've managed to get outline planning and just in the process of trying to finance it from somewhere .

Im hoping this will then be the stepping stone for me to gain the confidence I need to take the leap and go out on my own, unfortunately im one of those that always has something come up that drains my savings to make the break on my own.

ive a couple of questions but will obviously start a new forum chat for them, wish me luck ??

painy 

We all wish you more than just luck. Success would be better!

Your story sounds more than familiar. And this place is as good as any other to wallow in the stories that others tell. Nobody here has had a hassle-free build. Nobody.

At the very least the avalanche of decisions we all need to make keeps most of us awake at part of the night; and then when you've been nagging at something for a bit, you realise - there's bound to be someone who has sorted it out one way or another on BH. Before you know it, a few ideas have been dropped into your head and you're a few steps further on, with, often, a laugh thrown in too.

I have no idea how I'm going to sort out my stone slips. None at all. I'm just going to ask how others have done it. By the end of the week I'll have a sensible plan in place. Without BH, I'd have even less hair than I have now.

Welcome. Lurk, read, ask.

Ian