Blocking off an external door

TANK

Hello peeps

we have a front door that has not been used for many years, sometime before we purchased the property. I believe it became obsolete when porch to the side door was constructed. We also have a rear door from the kitchen which opens onto the rear garden. 

So, what I'm wondering is, as the title suggests, can I block this front door off? I could remove it completely and fill the hole, but I'm thinking this is an unnecessary expense, since we lose very little heat through it (it's fairly modern upvc), and only want to change the look of the front of house. 

Are there any regulations preventing me from simply cladding across it?

many thanks in advance. 

Tank. 

22 hours ago, Conor said:

My first thought was fire as well. If a fire starts and the side door is blocked, how do you get out? Would need to see a drawing.

we have three doors, one on each side of the property - the fourth side is attached. 

So, we still have 2 with this one blocked off. 

You need to talk to your LPA and the Planning Portal.  Depending on where the door is this and any conservation restrictions in your area (especially as it is on the principle elevation) you might be able to get confirmation / a certificate of lawful development.

The worst case scenario is that a neighbour complains after you've done the work and you get a visit from planning enforcement then an order to reinstate the door -- unlikely, but possible.

If you are removing lintels and completely removing the opening, then this work is also subject to building control and approval.  

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TANK said:

we have three doors, one on each side of the property - the fourth side is attached. 

So, we still have 2 with this one blocked off. 

Be good to see a plan - I think the concern would be if there is a room that doesn't have direct access to a means of escape. On our renovation we have a study which is only accessed via the living room, and we had to make sure there was a window big enough to escape without passing through the living room. We also have to have a linked smoke in this room

• Like 1