Can you use Hybrid battery inverter without solar input?

BMcN

At the moment I have 3.6kw solar installed in my garage.  I am planning on installing some batteries and was wondering if it is possible to install a Hybrid battery inverter like this Solis one but not have any solar panels connected, so effectively have it operate as an AC coupled?  This would leave me the option of adding a second solar input to it in the future.

Will it behave as an AC coupled and still charge off my existing solar when it starts to export?

8 hours ago, BMcN said:

At the moment I have 3.6kw solar installed in my garage.  I am planning on installing some batteries and was wondering if it is possible to install a Hybrid battery inverter like this Solis one but not have any solar panels connected, so effectively have it operate as an AC coupled?  This would leave me the option of adding a second solar input to it in the future.

Will it behave as an AC coupled and still charge off my existing solar when it starts to export?

yes that's broadly the same setup as I have, and with a few good quality CT clamps and a decent app everything can be monitored and controlled

1 hour ago, Dillsue said:

Can you hook up the new inverter and batteries to your existing solar and keep the existing inverter for the extra PV in the future?? If the hybrid Solis is G98 limited it would save any concerns with the DNO now

No, unfortunately my main incoming supply is in the attached garage while the existing solar is in the detached garage.  Batteries will need to be near the incoming supply for the CT.

33 minutes ago, BMcN said:

No, unfortunately my main incoming supply is in the attached garage while the existing solar is in the detached garage.  Batteries will need to be near the incoming supply for the CT.

If you have an existing duct for cable runs the CT can be extended with cat6 up to 100m usually. It would save the DC -> AC -> DC -> AC losses of a second inverter for the battery.

53 minutes ago, S2D2 said:

If you have an existing duct for cable runs the CT can be extended with cat6 up to 100m usually. It would save the DC -> AC -> DC -> AC losses of a second inverter for the battery.

also the option of wireless signals 

Just now, BMcN said:

What options are there for wireless CT @Jenki?

I'm not there yet.  but , in this post that is the idea.    I'm currently looking into this as I will have two locations that use power, and the meter is in a third place.  separated by 70M.

6 hours ago, Jenki said:

I'm not there yet.  but , in this post that is the idea.    I'm currently looking into this as I will have two locations that use power, and the meter is in a third place.  separated by 70M.

I am going to have a look and see if I could get a cable fish through the electrical duct.  It's tight and long so I doubt it will work but I'll try and take it from there. 

1 hour ago, BMcN said:

I am going to have a look and see if I could get a cable fish through the electrical duct.  It's tight and long so I doubt it will work but I'll try and take it from there. 

Use one of the cables in the duct to pull a draw wire in then use thd draw wire to pull the cable back together with the new data cable??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Use one of the cables in the duct to pull a draw wire in then use thd draw wire to pull the cable back together with the new data cable??

The duct is one of the Scottish power 32mm (ish ones) and the cable is the same as the main incomer (20-25mm2 I think, with armour).  So itll be a tough pull and a risky one if something goes wrong.

5 hours ago, BMcN said:

The duct is one of the Scottish power 32mm (ish ones) and the cable is the same as the main incomer (20-25mm2 I think, with armour).  So itll be a tough pull and a risky one if something goes wrong.

Ok. If the cable is SPs then its a no no but if its yours then it might be your only option. If its a straight duct the SWA should pull back in ok, if youve got enough room not to bend it as its drawn out. Getting cable rods over 70 metres is alot of rods! I think you can blow/vac lightweight cables through ducts but not sure how successful that would be with a chunky cable in the duct already

3 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Ok. If the cable is SPs then its a no no but if its yours then it might be your only option. If its a straight duct the SWA should pull back in ok, if youve got enough room not to bend it as its drawn out. Getting cable rods over 70 metres is alot of rods! I think you can blow/vac lightweight cables through ducts but not sure how successful that would be with a chunky cable in the duct already

Yeah it is SWA and SP ducting but its all mine.  I think I will try a fibreglass tape, it would be too many rods.

s-l500.jpg