Condensation on solid stone walls in the Outer Hebrides

Chris HB

I’m currently stripping out the old plasterboard on my Small Mission Hall project on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. 

The building has not been in use for years and has never really had any effective heating. 

interesting once the plasterboard is off, you can see small drops of condensation form on the walls. I assume this is kind of normal?

I’m keeping windows open whilst I work, but I assume that it will need heating at some point to help combat this?

I appreciate that 500-600mm solid stone walls are likely to have moisture/damp to some degree especially being in the Outer Hebrides! 

In the future, I’ll need to be adding internal insulation within a standalone stud framework. 

1 hour ago, Chris HB said:

I’m currently stripping out the old plasterboard on my Small Mission Hall project on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. 

The building has not been in use for years and has never really had any effective heating. 

interesting once the plasterboard is off, you can see small drops of condensation form on the walls. I assume this is kind of normal?

I’m keeping windows open whilst I work, but I assume that it will need heating at some point to help combat this?

I appreciate that 500-600mm solid stone walls are likely to have moisture/damp to some degree especially being in the Outer Hebrides! 

In the future, I’ll need to be adding internal insulation within a standalone stud framework. 

Big subject. Fair bit of recent discussion on the subject here. Lots of potential to cause future issues,

Id also use the period property forum, though some of them can be a bit hardcore!

• Like 1

Since taking all the old plasterboard off the walls and ceiling, and having the windows opened a bit during the day, the wall that had the condensation on has dried out really quickly! 

removing the old plasterboard has helped the building begging to breathe again!