triple glazed bifold - worth it?

johnhenstock83

Hi everyone,

I'm very close to ordering a bifold (3600x2100mm) for our extension and I've been given the choice between standard double glazing, argon filled, and hardened triple glazing, argon filled. I know triple is better than double, but is it worth it? The price difference is around £900 (£2700 double, £3600 triple), but then it's a one off cost. the extension has cavity walls (brick, rockwool, breeze block) and the roof is a flat roof with celotex insulation (120mm) and triple glazed skylights. Would the triple glazing make a significant difference? Existing house is very warm and energy costs are quite low, despite high prices, and it's double glazed all round.

Am I right in thinking that triple glazing is more suitable for sound insulation and won't make a significant difference to a house/extension that's already properly insulated?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

PS: it's a smarts visofold aluminium frame bifold, in case it matters.

You need to get the overall u value for both to compare.

Pros of triple are excellent sound reduction, no cold radiating off the glass in winter if you are sitting close, generally better insulation (but not always).

Something to be aware off is they don’t let as much solar gain in but this can be a pro or con depending on the time of year though I can’t say I’ve noticed that.

Cons: very heavy. Frost/condensation on the outer pane in winter so you can’t see out first thing .

Weak points in a bifold are the frames and sealing. Get overall u value and ask what class wind / water ingress protection they have.

Btw, the price you have is very good ... Not sure if that means a low spec product or not. For comparison our solarlux 4.6m bi-folds were £10k+

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

On your point around sound - Triple Glazing does not necessarily have better sound qualities than double per se. It's depends on what you specify. If sound reduction is important for you, then you would look for 'Acoustic Glass', which tends to be double glazing with thicker outer pane, smaller gap and normal inner pane. 

Triple most certainly is better for the u-value, but it's your decision - there's a trade off to be made. 'Acoustic' glass can reduce sound by easily more than ten decibels, which if you're in a busy area, might be better than the better insulation. 

I'll make some further inquiries, but by the sound of it, there's no night and day difference between the two where double glazing means I'll be losing heat day and night while triple glazing would keep all the heat inside. I think I might stick to double glazing since the rest of the insulation in and around the extension is really good + oversized radiators connected to a very efficient boiler.

As for the price, you're right, they are cheap. I found the same ones for considerably more, I just can't see myself forking two and half time the price for basically the same product. While I'm sure there are some differences in build quality, I'm also convinced I won't be getting a swiss cheese of a frame. The entire project is a mid-budget one anyway, so it should do.

Thanks all!

Edited by johnhenstock83
  • Like 1