Neighbour's extension drains onto my garage roof

My neighbour's extension has gutters but no downpipe, hence the rain just sits in the gutter and then overflows onto my adjoining garage. This appears to be by deliberate design.

The neighbour's roof, gutters and fascias were renewed last spring. My neighbour says the contractor just copied what was already there, which I am inclined to believe, since a picture of the old gutter (from 2006) shows the same obvious low point at exactly the same place. Previously I had assumed this was just an old sagging gutter, but now I see it is by design. I have started paying attention to this as I am about to have my garage roof replaced.

The question is, what can I do? I know who the contractor is, and it seems to me that his work ought to have followed building regulations, which it doesn't seem to have done. I don't want to cause any undue problems for my neighbour, who may have inherited the original problem when he bought the property, but surely the contractor is at fault here?

2.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Almost Aviation

That is simply poor installation. there is no way that is intentional.

For the sake of expedience I would just offer to go and re mount the clips so it has a constant fall and the water runs round the corner to go down the downpipe.

Anything else is unlikely to succeed as you would get something like "we don't have a problem" etc. 

14 minutes ago, markc said:

There is on your roof, couple of £ and an hour or so and you can add a dropper into your roof and forget about it.

Well maybe, if my gutter and downpipe will cope with the volume. (There's also no drain, so the water just dumps onto the ground.)

36 minutes ago, Almost Aviation said:

There is no downpipe.

So I would level the run of gutter and clip a 90 degree bend on the end then it would pour down onto next doors garden.  That might focus their mind a bit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So I would level the run of gutter and clip a 90 degree bend on the end then it would pour down onto next doors garden.  That might focus their mind a bit.

🙂 Their gutter does actually go around two sides of the extension, so all it's missing is a downpipe. The neighbour has agreed in principle to add a downpipe, although he hasn't yet acknowledged that the gutter will need repositioning with the right fall.