New member hoping to build my dream house.

Mdickson73

Hello all,

I have been dreaming of building my forever house for years. In 2005, I helped my parents plan and build the new family home. It was a true family affair with each of us doing our bit and playing to our strengths.

I am hoping with a bit of luck to find the right location to build a high efficiency house. Ideally utilising some shipping containers. 

So if any shipping container fans out there let me know.

Thanks Martin.

Welcome

How large will a shipping container be when it has 400mm of insulation glued to the inside?

How much more will it cost than a factory built timber frame place that matched the insulated foundation and has a guaranteed airtight?

There is a reason that houses are not made from old shipping containers, and it is not lack of shipping containers.

You’d be so much better off not using a shipping container! They just aren’t designed for that kind of thing and so hard to work with. Buildings need more than just to be insulated and that’s it… 

Check out prefab units instead of you like that aesthetic. You can at least alter them to your own spec without damaging them structurally. 

etc’s links are great.

I love shipping containers (oh no! My secrets out), they are like Lego for crane fans but I would never use them over here for a home … they are even terrible as site offices. Sectional pre fab buildings can be had for peanuts and while they need more care lifting and supporting they are generally well insulated and pretty easy to alter/adapt.