Zombie boiler!

Radian

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2023 at 07:52, PiMike said:

Hi Radian

I'm following your experiments with interest as I have just started to monitor the ebus on my Vaillant ecoTec 418 boiler.

Sorry for the late reply, not seen your post until now. Looking at your other thread I guess you've sussed it by now. I recently left some hints about visualising the modulation parameter there.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I own a Glowworm HX15 heat only condensing boiler and for a number of years have been using ebusd to capture the burner status, flow temperature and return temperature but have never been able to control the flowtempdesired. I also went the same route as you and purchased spare main  and display PCBs, but the 'SetModeOverride' method just never worked for me. After numerous fruitless attempts, I gave up, but after reading your success story, I decided to look again.

The first thing I notices was that in your list of ebusd parameter was "bai EBusHeatcontrol = yes", for me it was always "no", so I guessed that some other external parameter was setting this to "yes".

My next step was tp obtain from ebay a Glowworm CimaPro2 room controller, once this was connected to the ebus the valuve of EBusHeatcontrol change from "no" to "yes" and by using 'SetModeOverride', I was able to adjust flowtempdesired. I did not want to leave the ClimaPro2 continually connected, as it was itself trying to set the flowtempdesired, so I monitored the bus traffic to determine what the ClimaPro was doing to set the EBusHeatcontrol value.

After some head scratching I determined that the ClimaPro was generating an 07h 04h identification ebus telegram once every 10 minutes and this was what caused EBusHeatcontrol to become set to "yes". 

I solution I chose was to build a hardware ClimaPro emulator which could both generate the identification telegram and also the B5h 10h message which is used to set the flowtempdesired. I used a PIC microcontroller and an interface to the ebus to allow the capture and transmission of the ebus telegrams. The message format used was derived from the ebusd template file "15.e7c.csv", hence I can use 'standard' ebus message telegrams to send control temperature values to the emulator, which then calculates the flowtempdesired and composes a B510 to transmit back to the boiler via ebus.

The hardware is fairly simple and is powered directly from the ebus.

ebus_controller_1.jpg

• 1 month later...