MVHR - ducts to unit - fall?

Install wisdom needed please as I certainly lack it...

I have seen recommendations to have a fall on eg the pipe from the MVHR unit exhausting the air to the outside, but do I need to consider a 'fall' for the pipe delivering air from kitchen and bathrooms (ie warm and moist) into the unit? In case of condensation in the pipe? Or am I overthinking this and the moisture will stay as vapour until it hits the actual heat exchanger.

Reason for asking is that I have only a small tight space in which to install the unit, along with HWC, UFH reservoir etc. Proving to be a 3D challenge...

Regards

Glenn

13 hours ago, Glenn said:

Install wisdom needed please as I certainly lack it...

I have seen recommendations to have a fall on eg the pipe from the MVHR unit exhausting the air to the outside, but do I need to consider a 'fall' for the pipe delivering air from kitchen and bathrooms (ie warm and moist) into the unit? In case of condensation in the pipe? Or am I overthinking this and the moisture will stay as vapour until it hits the actual heat exchanger.

Reason for asking is that I have only a small tight space in which to install the unit, along with HWC, UFH reservoir etc. Proving to be a 3D challenge...

Regards

Glenn

No need to consider anything for the distribution ductwork, as that will just get damp ( moisture ) and then dry out again as the air keeps flowing after the shower etc has been turned off.

If the MVHR unit supply air vents are on a gable with driving rain then it may be a good idea to have the first connected pipe rising slightly, but I've not ever really given this detail any further thoughts on previous installs, and I am still in regular contact with the clients.

I'd say don't worry, but make sure all joints are made robustly / duct supported well etc, and use rigid insulated ducting to atmosphere. I'd also avoid the fleece type attenuators and use metal 'box' attenuators where possible ( if you are going to install something for sound / noise reduction ).

• Thanks 1

Thank you Nick! That is reassuring - thought I was overthinking it.

I spent more of my time coming up with the best pipe layout around the house, most efficient manifold position etc - I should have prioritised a little better on how to best fit in these dirty great 125mm ducts to and from the actual MVHR unit...

Regards

Glenn

• Like 1