need help identifying a device

dpmiller

OK chaps, my google-fu is coming up short here  @Radian @ProDave etc

I'm looking for a replacement Hall-effect sensor. It's an SOT-23 device, and the markings are W90B, 65AA. Does anybody know what it really is and/or what it might cross to? It's the valve position sensor in the pump for our treatment plant.

ta...

Are you certain it's a Hall-effect sensor? W9 prefixes a lot of sot-23 Zener diodes. No other matches that I can find. Maybe trace out the pin connections for additional clues, Vdd and GND are on pins 1 & 3 and output on 2 for all the ones I've come across but if yours looks different, it might help eliminate some obvious candidates.

Yep, definitely Hall. there's an actuating disc- a cam- directly above it and there are two magnets clipped into this. Problem is, I don't know if this is polarity-sensitive, but presume it is. The 2 magnets are 180deg apart, and it has no other way of telling cam-up or cam-down for valve position feedback

so something like a DRV5053 I was thinking

Well I can't follow the signal trace to anything active on the main board. the little sensor board has capacitors between GND and both Vs and OP. The OP is pulled up by a resistor to Vs. Where the cable lands on the mainboard, there's another cap between GND and OP, and a resistor between Vs and OP.

Supply voltage is 5v

I'm tempted to bring the OP line high and/or low through a few k Ohms to see what pattern results in the unit being satisfied and starting the blower

So with a bit of experimentation, pulling the OP alternately high and low (through 1kR just in case) happily sequenced the pump on. Getting just a couple of the SOT23 devices looks like a pain, so I've ordered a few of the 41F sensors in thin TO92 off Amazon so we should be sorted tomorrow. They're commonly used in E-bike motors and the like, and I've got room on the PCB for the TO92 device once I do a bit of leadout wire origami.

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

So with a bit of experimentation, pulling the OP alternately high and low (through 1kR just in case) happily sequenced the pump on.

Excellent. Would have been over-engineered if they'd used an analogue sensor for a go/no go switch.