Sealing the bottom of the door into the garage

Sparrowhawk

We have a door from the utility room built in the back of the garage into the garage itself. At the bottom there's a quarter inch gap between door and floor.

The previous owners added a brush strip on the inside, but wind whistles through.

IMG_20230103_181907.thumb.jpg.a57f4819d56de28937d76f82214932e4.jpg

What's the most effective way to improve the airtightness?

To complicate matters (maybe) the floor isn't level under the door, as the tiles stop halfway under it and a wooden panel continues beyond, a tile thickness lower.

10 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Make a timber threshold that the door closes against.  It will mean you have a step, but does mean you can get rid of the cold.

That's a good idea, I've done it for eaves cupboards and it works very well. The step is a bit of a problem as my dear wife is not the most coordinated person and I can see her catching her foot on it and going flying...

I'll mock one up and see how quickly she injures herself

9 hours ago, Radian said:

Compression seals are your best friend here for example

71PVaYGFHCL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg.2c62fba40201459c2e55d589a5dcdf0b.jpg

Thanks, TIL those existed. It looks like I'd need to cut more off the bottom of the door to make it fit and/or cut it at an angle (an excuse to buy a track saw?)

You can buy the 'D' profile compression seal with stick-backing tape on its own. I bought some 12mm deep to seal my front and back doors. Much better than the standard squishy white foam. The threshold strip is nice though as it holds everything in place. Bit on the pricey side though.