Solis invertor with MET_Comm-FAIL and RS485 fail

jen and mark

Hi guys,

We have just had our solar installed in our barn conversion. We are still building and living in our caravan on site but thought we would like to get the benefit of the solar while we work. We are working through our first fix electrics and have no internet in the barn as yet (not sure if that is what the Comm relates to) though we do have our main electric supply in there which then goes out to the caravan. I am a real noob when it comes to solar but our Solis invertor has the above fault showing. I contacted the installer who said dont worry about it, but I dislike red alarm lights and feel this cant be right. Any advice would be appreciated!

I think it is - the Solis is showing up to 1KW being generated (thats the maximum we've had on a sunny day for our 4.86 KW array) and the emlite meter is showing the total generation but nothing is being shown as exported to the grid. Its been installed since November 3rd

No experience with Solis kit but an RS485 connection could well be a local network for connection to an energy meter, battery pack or another inverter. If your expecting to see a value for grid export then have you got or going to have an export meter? If thats yet to be installed/cabled, that could be why you got red lights/errors and your installer idnt too concerned??

At the moment, we do not have a battery pack and have not received the agreement back from the DNO (we applied in September!) so cannot get any SEG payments. I thought the emlite ECA2 was the export meter? As I say, I am lost as I have little knowledge on Solar. I just dont like seeing a red warning light!

The Emlite will be the generation meter. Used to be important for FITs. They have no real purpose now, but installers still fit them. https://www.test-meter.co.uk/emlite-eca2-single-rate-meter .

https://ginlongsolis.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/36000308050-met-comm-fail-and-rs485-fail-troubleshooting seems to be relevant to your issue - it references an Acrel meter, which I *imagine* would be for export (note how they mention CT clamps). There's a procedure for telling the inverter that the meter isn't connected; that would stop it from showing the error. https://www.acrelenergy.com/products/agf-ae-d-pv-solar-inverter-energy-meter/

I have a solis inverter and have not yet had access to their app, installer thinks it is a antenna problem to be rectified this week. We have had over 1 1/2 kw on a sunny day but have come across a problem during the cold spell. Our inverter is coupled to a foxx battery pack, when the temp goes below zero it won’t fill the battery, as a result any excess goes to the grid even though we are not on a FIT yet.