Anyone here have a Potton ?

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

There are a couple on here - Potton was bought by Kingspan a while back and they haven’t advanced the designs much other than to keep in line with building regs minimums. There are many better TF suppliers out there.

That’s not true at all!

They have a full architectural design and planning department who can do any bespoke design, of any style. You just need to fill in your brief requirements and work with the designers. 

They then will create the timber production drawings, and your building regs. 

They have also upped their specs to be comfortably above building regulations and can do passivehaus if you want. 

I’m not sure where you got your info from? It’s a little out of date I think.

52 minutes ago, Papillon said:

They have also upped their specs to be comfortably above building regulations and can do passivehaus if you want. 

Comfortably above ..??? Standard spec is 0.02 above BRegs for walls unless you pay more, they also do not guarantee Passiv as they do not do full turnkey as of now. Whether they will do in the future is suspect as they are still only using subs for certain aspects with no overall package offering. 

58 minutes ago, Papillon said:

I’m not sure where you got your info from? It’s a little out of date I think.

part owning an M&E and services consultancy that specs and installs for architects and builders  - so have first hand experience of the standards in a fairly broad range of companies including Potton (in 2020/21 most recently).

Hence my comment that there are better ones out there !!

1 hour ago, Papillon said:

They have a full architectural design and planning department who can do any bespoke design, of any style. You just need to fill in your brief requirements and work with the designers. 

That I didn’t question - it’s the standard SIP/Panel design that hasn’t changed pretty much since it’s original inception and like most SIP systems contains inherent flaws which are widely documented. 

Pretty much every TF company does design / regs drawings and submissions so it’s not exactly a ground breaking service. 

4 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Oh that’s ok then, I misunderstood when you said they hadn’t updated ‘the designs’! They very much have updated their design service, some nice designs there.

You seem to have a lot of information about Potton, did you do a build using their services??

We lived near their show home place so went and viewed them. Obviously they are show homes so have a lot of traffic through them nevertheless I thought the detailing was really poor. I also thought their standard designs looked a little tired. The Passiv house wasn’t too bad though. 

Edited by Kelvin

5 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

You seem to have a lot of information about Potton, did you do a build using their services??

I’ve done some designs for their customers and projects, but I know a bit so if anyone is interested can share! 

I think I prefer other frame providers in many ways though. Is it scotframe that has the modular design builder? I’d quite like one of those.

On 26/12/2022 at 16:04, PeterW said:

That I didn’t question - it’s the standard SIP/Panel design that hasn’t changed pretty much since it’s original inception and like most SIP systems contains inherent flaws which are widely documented. 

Pretty much every TF company does design / regs drawings and submissions so it’s not exactly a ground breaking service. 

And...

part owning an M&E and services consultancy that specs and installs for architects and builders  - so have first hand experience of the standards in a fairly broad range of companies including Potton (in 2020/21 most recently).

Hence my comment that there are better ones out there !!

PeterW I have sent you a message