2 in 1 CNC Engraver / Laser

Onoff

I while back I bought a K40 CO2 laser. Yet to set it up, its massive for a start and I need a decent dry workshop etc. (Tbh by the time I get around to it the tube will likely have degraded and I'll need to replace it).  

Meanwhile...it's my lad's birthday today. Got him a few bits but nothing memorable. A few years ago I got him the 3D printer. Best present ever tbh. He's learnt loads, improved his CAD and coding skills and even made a few quid printing prototypes and replacement parts. 

With his birthday and Christmas do close together it's always a mission what to buy him.

Too late for his birthday but I've been considering a 2 in 1 milling machine / laser engraver. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Engraving-Machine-Control-Engraver-300x180x45mm/dp/B089GW19XD/ref=asc_df_B089GW19XD/?

Any thoughts? (Or where to get cheaper 😂).

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

my wife has a Cricut for her arts and crafts needs. obviously not the same as a milling machine but it cuts stuff out and says it can do engraving after a fashion. i've not really looked at it tbh but she likes hers.

https://cricut.com/en-gb/compare

Yes, my brother has one. Uses it primarily for making stencils for copper etching. 

IMG-20221212-WA0007

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2022 at 11:37, Onoff said:

I while back I bought a K40 CO2 laser. Yet to set it up, its massive for a start and I need a decent dry workshop etc. (Tbh by the time I get around to it the tube will likely have degraded and I'll need to replace it).  

Meanwhile...it's my lad's birthday today. Got him a few bits but nothing memorable. A few years ago I got him the 3D printer. Best present ever tbh. He's learnt loads, improved his CAD and coding skills and even made a few quid printing prototypes and replacement parts. 

With his birthday and Christmas do close together it's always a mission what to buy him.

Too late for his birthday but I've been considering a 2 in 1 milling machine / laser engraver. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Engraving-Machine-Control-Engraver-300x180x45mm/dp/B089GW19XD/ref=asc_df_B089GW19XD/?

Any thoughts? (Or where to get cheaper 😂).

To be sensible for a moment, the 7 watt laser would not cut anything of substance. It might be useful for learning new skills but it sounds like you lad is a number of useful steps ahead of this already.

50 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

You need this then, a proper laser cutter. E bay link = 115639993259. Sorry i could not resist it. Its mine by the way.

What you really need is a fibre laser. Sorry couldn't resist.