Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) - How to apply

Anyone got experience of successfully applying for the £5k goverment grant under the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, for a self-build, through their installer?

Have you been able to secure the voucher in advance of the installation?

I've been told from my installer that: "The Ofgem submission can only be applied for once the installation is complete."

However, the official Ofgem guidance states that the voucher can be applied for in advance, on behalf of the property owner by the installer. Once the voucher is issued, 3 months are given to allow for the completion of the installation. (6 months for a GSHP). 

Conflicting messaging, so I'm curious as to how people have approached this...

13 minutes ago, Bonner said:

Yes, the supplier applied for the voucher and it was approved before installation. They quoted the full price with £5k credit subject to BUS approval. PM me if you want a new installer.

Does Ofgem pay the £5k to the installer and then they pay it to you, or is it just settled with Ofgem and the installer?

From reading this thread it is clear that different installers have different procedures.

We got a quote, accepted it, the installer applied for the BUS grant, it was approved in principle, work began. We made deposit and stage payments for the full amount (four in all, before and during the installation with the last paid after it was commissioned and working). Finally, the installer applied for payment of the grant which was made to them and they refunded the £5K to us. The scheme administration seemed to be prompt and efficient and our installer paid us as soon as they received the grant.

I can see that this approach isn't perfect and the process design of the scheme administration has plenty of scope for improvement. We did lots of work to find the right installer for us before seeking quotes and being comfortable with the financial side was part of that. In the event only one installer ended up quoting (the lack of professionalism of the others in this also meant we wouldn't have been confident in them). 

• Like 1