How slippery is your exterior surface?

Ferdinand

Interesting - just been putting the bin out and nearly came a cropper through wet ice.

This morning it was -2C here, currently it is 3C, and it had rained, then stopped, then started again. It has been noticeably slow over the last days for e car windshields to unfrost - I have been needing to preheat windows even in mid-afternoon.

I went across 4 surfaces:

1 - Council slabs. Grippy for my pumps.

2 - Gravel. Grippy for my pumps.

3 - Tarmac in the lane. Grippy for my pumps.

3 - Ribbed concrete on the drive. Nearly went over. I'm assuming that was puddles from early on that had not thawed and now had a film of rain.

Anybody else?

Ferdinand

Last week I was impressed with my car tyres.  I went to a job on one of the housing estates, knowing the estate roads never get gritted I went slowly, not the merest hint of traction problems or wheel spin.  I got out of the car and nearly ended up on my aris, the road was that slippy it was hard to stand up.

• Like 1

I have two types of paver out in the back garden - some kind of rose-tinted, irregular sandstone-y stuff where the patio door is, and cheapest-possible concrete pavers along the rest of the house. You'd think the sandstone-y pavers would be better, but they allow water to pool much more, and that freezes into almost-invisible sheets of ice. The cheapo ones are much gripper by comparison.

I pop https://www.yaktrax.co.uk/ on at the first hint of ice in the streets, so away from the house I barely even notice the grippiness of different surfaces. The only thing I have trouble on is metal - they bite very satisfyingly into everything else.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Last week I was impressed with my car tyres.  I went to a job on one of the housing estates, knowing the estate roads never get gritted I went slowly, not the merest hint of traction problems or wheel spin.  I got out of the car and nearly ended up on my aris, the road was that slippy it was hard to stand up.

That's the usual warning to people using studded tyres on bicycles. Take care when getting off 'cos teh bike has better grip. Mine's staying it its stall this week until we get above 5C..

In this vid from Cheltenham I love the chap on the bike: