Gap between window sill & window

newbie282

Hi, I'm a complete newbie & wanted your expert opinion on how to tackle this.

Noticed a fairly wide gap on the window sill of a non opening UPVC window (almost 1.5 cm). It's only been installed in 2019 & was looking around house for draughts & cold spots when I came across this. How can I fix this ? Read online about expanding foam. Will it be too much for filling this gap? Or are there any other products I could use?

Any suggestions & opinions more than appreciated! 

I have attached pictures of the window.

Thanks !

20221206_122937.jpg

20221206_123009.jpg

20221206_123040.jpg

IF the window is well fitted (big IF), then that would be cosmetic only and any strip the look you like will do it.

But likely this is where spiders get inside (no joking, I had it) and you either foam it or fill with appropriate sealant. Illbruck and Soudal make dedicated products, Soudal SWS actually suggests foam, internal and extrenal sealant.

If you go for foam, mask the area around as it likes to splash, expands, and then is b!tch to remove. Cover with strip (or at least filler or lick of paint) to protect foam from UV degradation.

With sealant alone you can possibly get away with extra strip, though lose thermal insulating properties of foam.

Thank you both for your quick responses, esp recommendations of products. 

Can Illsbruck & Soudal expanding foam be used on floors too? I have posted another thread where I have large gaps beneath the dishwasher, thats another source of draughts ! My house is full of gaps ! 

Sorry for this stupid Q, but are these expanding foam makes safe to use close to electric cables & gas pipes? 

Yes, both those foams produce airtight barrier and stay flexible. You pay more than the usual do-it-all foam, but it is worth it, and the gaps do not take a lot to fill, so one can gets you far.

Q is not stupid, some materials do react. PVC is what cables are wrapped in and what most windows are made of, and those foams are intended to be used there, so you should be safe. In any case, do double check your chosen product safety note. Gas pipe being steel will be fine.