NEST for the bathroom (zone) to control UFH?

GlanMenai

Hello!

We are planning on using the NEST system for the entire house that we're currently renovating. Could I please get some advice on what people these days are using for bathrooms?

We've just installed water based underfloor-heating into the bathroom (and including the whole floor level), so this bathroom will be its own 'zone', separate from the other rooms that's on this floor level. The hot-water cylinder isn't in the bathroom, it's in a separate 'utility' room at the other end of the house. 

As I understand that the NEST cannot be installed in the UK bathroom, do to our electrical laws etc. I also understand that the Nest Temperature Sensor isn't available for us here in the UK, so having an wireless sensor isn't an option either?

The installers have created a 'channel' where an external thermostat/probe can be installed if needed, but I don't quite know what my options are here in the UK to install the NEST to control a bathroom from outside the room?

Has anyone got any recommendations at all on how I can use a NEST to control a bathroom, and to be used from outside of the actual room?

Many thanks!

57 minutes ago, GlanMenai said:

As I understand that the NEST cannot be installed in the UK bathroom, do to our electrical laws etc.

Depends on the zone it is in - as long as it is in an area outside of the shower / bath / basin exclusion areas then it’s fine.

• 7 months later...

Hey! Sorry @PeterW I completely missed your reply!

So, if the NEST is in 'zone 3' of the bathroom, completely the opposite wall of the shower/bath/basin, then it could be ok? 

I still haven't found a solution for this, and just started researching again. If you've got any further info on this, I'd love to hear more.

Many thanks!

9 hours ago, GlanMenai said:

if the NEST is in 'zone 3' of the bathroom, completely the opposite wall of the shower/bath/basin, then it could be ok?

You can't put it in Zone 3 - there isn't a Zone 3 any more! But you can put it outside Zone 2. You'd have to calculate the distance to know whether you can put it opposite the shower. Worth knowing that the zones normally don't go all the way to the ceiling, so if you don't mind it high up, you almost certainly have more flexibility.

Search the web for 'bathroom electrical zones' and you'll find various examples and explanations.