1960s Warm Air Heating Upgrade to Air to Air ASHP

RenewableNeil

Hi there,

I’m quite new to forums but this site looked really interesting so happy to give it a go.

I’m particularly interested in hearing about Air to Air ASHPs (or air conditioning units with heat pumps) that could be integrated into the existing ductwork of a 1960s property.  It is currently being heated by a 30 year old Warm Air Gas Boiler (Lennox G10) that is still going strong but is probably nearing the end of it’s life and it’s feels like the right time to start considering renewable options.  

Thanks!

3 hours ago, RenewableNeil said:

It is currently being heated by a 30 year old Warm Air Gas Boiler (Lennox G10)

Blimey. The pilot alone on that must be costing you a bit. I'm a recent convert to A2A on account of its ability to give me space heating for the absolute minimum energy cost. But that's using mini-splits so it's ductless. Mitsubishi seem to be into ducted A2A heat pumps systems:

@Nickfromwales Yes I’m trying to avoid a retrofit to a wet central heating system with radiators.  I’m aware that there are water to air heat exchangers out there that could fit our system (eg Johnson and Starley Aquair and the Multicalor HIU) but the air to air solution seems so much more efficient and current.  Thanks for your reply!

15 hours ago, RenewableNeil said:

I’m trying to avoid a retrofit to a wet central heating system with radiators.

15 hours ago, RenewableNeil said:

the air to air solution seems so much more efficient and current.

I've often thought about that. The Romans had it sussed and then the Victorians came along and set us back two thousand years 😉.

• 1 year later...

Hi, how did you get on with this project? We’re looking to replace a 12 year old Johnson and starley gas warm air unit and keep looking at air to air units. It would save a lot of hassle with fitting all the radiators!