Ventilation in the bed room

kalach98

Hello 

I've been having some problems with mold and condensation in my bedroom growing just above the vent. It's not much at the minute but I want to sort it before it gets really bad. 

Previously the room had really bad mold problem growing on the ceiling and side of the wall; I've managed to find the reson for it growing on the ceiling (it was bad insulation in the loft) and I have sorted it since. The wall was replastered and painted ever since but every winter a little bit of the mold comes back on the side of the wall. 

Every morning there is loads of condensation on the window. No other room gets this much condensation even spare bedroom in which we dry our clothes. 

Recently I realised that the vent grills I  the rest of the house are posting up apart the one in the bed room.  Could this be the cause?

Let me know if you have any suggestions, ideas or  what I can do or Could be the cause. 

Thank you very much in advance 

20220930_135404.jpg

If it's where your are sleeping, generally poor ventilation could / would be the reason.

So let's get a bit more info.

Where in the room is the grille?

What ventilation do you have, continuously running dMEV, intermittent bathroom fans or nothing?

Do you have vents in the window, if so are these open or closed?

I think the vents should face down as they otherwise would clog up with dust. 

You can purchase a humidity measuring device and move it around the different rooms to get an idea where it's highest vs time of day. I use a small sensorpush and just download logs to the app on my phone every few weeks. You can always open the windows for an hour after you get up if that's possible to purge the bedroom. Any drying of clothes indoors is going to increase moisture / humidity levels, I wonder which way the natural airflow is inside the house? 

You should remove all the vent covers in each room and check it's open to the outside, sometimes they are blocked / fake / barely working. 

A dehumidifier would be worth researching - check this video out:

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2022 at 16:03, JohnMo said:

If it's where your are sleeping, generally poor ventilation could / would be the reason.

So let's get a bit more info.

Where in the room is the grille?

What ventilation do you have, continuously running dMEV, intermittent bathroom fans or nothing?

Do you have vents in the window, if so are these open or closed?

- the grill is in the corner of the room about 30cm away from the side wall and 10cm from top wall.

-for ventilation there are vents in all of the room and we open windows and close doors when ever we are showering or cooking.

-there is no vents in windows.

Sorry for no coming back sooner I assumed I would get some kind of notification when I got replays 

When you say vents in the rooms, are these internal ones or external?

Do you have extract fans? 

Your minimum require for fans would be an intermittent one in the bathroom or shower rooms.  You would also have a extract in the kitchen either stand alone or via a cooker hood.

Next up would continuous running ventilation, dMEV or PIV.  Then you start getting in to MVHR.