Insulated Raft KORE - External Protection

Renegade105

Hi All,

Our Insulated raft is about to go down, and would like to know how you guys protected the exposed above ground parts of the EPS foam upstands?

Our ground is fairly level, but as you can imagine not perfect, so in 1 corner of the house, where the external ground level slopes down (300mm lower than the other side) our FFL or top of slab is bascially 450 above the external ground level (it normally would be 150mm above ground level).

Where this is lower, we can build up the external ground a bit to raise things.

However, our engineer has planned to put the DPM under the insulation and wrap up the sides of the KORE, to finish under the stop-bead for the external silicone. However, part of the DPM will be exposed then to the elements, What can I do to protect it from getting punctured etc? Is it worth paining some TRITON etc to the outside of KORE before we wrap the DPM up over it just incase?

Thanks

You should have the construction details from Kore. They give number of options for finishing the permitter. There are a couple of threads here on this topic.

I went with an acrylic render solution, which is discussed here.

There are a few posts with photos. 

609286211_ScreenShot2022-11-28at18_42_51.thumb.png.f96e3669af8ddee5203aca6038276b40.png

We did not need a radon barrier. DPM was on top of the insulation. 

I don't think you need to seal the EPS. It is better if it can breath and release any moisture. But you do need to deter animals from trying to nest it it.  

Edited by Nick Laslett

Thanks,

Yeah this is the same detail I have been sent.

I think what I will do is backfill up and raise the external ground to at least cover where the plastering stop bead is, that should protect the DPM and keep it below ground.

What backfill material is best here? I suspect a pea shingle in order to stop any damage to the DPM.

49 minutes ago, Renegade105 said:

Thanks,

Yeah this is the same detail I have been sent.

I think what I will do is backfill up and raise the external ground to at least cover where the plastering stop bead is, that should protect the DPM and keep it below ground.

What backfill material is best here? I suspect a pea shingle in order to stop any damage to the DPM.

Have you got land drainage around the base of the raft? Then you would want pea gravel or similar to act as a french drain

We used fake GRP engineering bricks.  Couple of mm thick, come in long lengths so easy to fit, and look like the real deal.  Brick slips would have been more work and also a bit too deep (wanted it to sit back from render a bit)