Automated Gates Power Cable

Dan F

We're having some issues getting out electrcians back, but meanwhile landscaping work is processing which needs some electrics running prior to concrete being poured.

I've taken on the 24v lighting, and am using a mix of 2-core 2.5mm2 and 1.5mm2 H07RN rubber cable.  I'm using 1.5mm2 from each fitting to a local pit and wiska connection box, and then 2.5mm2 for the feeds back to the enclosre with all the drivers in it.  90% of garden lighting is 500mA or 700m! constant current so voltage drop isn't a major concern, but as some of the runs to the enclosure are 20-30m I've gone with 2.5mm2 for the feeds.

My question though, relates to what cables I need externally for 16A supply to a automated gate.  The cable will be ducted from the house to a pit in the front garden and then from there via a smaller conduit to a gate post.  I don't think armoured is required in this case is it (?) and both armoured and standard twin+earth would be impossible to work with in a conduit anyway.   Should I run some 3-core 2.5mm2 H07RN for this, or is there something better for the job?

Edited by Dan F

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

This is a 2.5mm2 SWA and 2 20mm conduits all inside another circa 60dia conduit.

I meant impossible to work with in a 20mm conduit.   I have 100mm conduit from the house to front drive, but then it's only a 20mm conduit from a pit to the controls box on the gate post.  Unless I just skip the 20mm conduit and throw the armoured cable in the trench under gate threshold alongside the 20mm ducts with control cables.

17 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

use sewer pipe will never have a snag pulling cable through. that crap 63mm ducting is terrible stuff.

Not this stuff, proper DNO stuff and smoothbore. I think I paid a tenner for this:

IMG_20201024_114819369.thumb.jpg.e3c009693b90a907c4f7f91d3ff9fbff.jpg.bd13aef687ba93bcef474726903a2531.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

good stuff, hatefull to get in the ground!

Indeed I felt like Jennifer Lopez in Anaconda! Worst bit was getting it up through the hole I drilled in the concrete, had to drag it up with an electric engine hoist. 

Tbh I often feel like Jennifer Lopez...