Cointra CPA11 open flue water heater and wind

Jenki

Hoping someone might be able to offer some options for me to try.

In our Static the hot water is heated with the above boiler LPG gas fired.

It's new 4 months, and works fine.

However I'm having issues when it's windy. And at "The Windy Roost" it's windy.

These boilers auto light on demand, and when it's windy in won't light or blows out.

The last week we've been having regular winds of 20mph. and basically had no hot water. 

The wind dropped today , and we've both managed a warm shower.

So the boiler is fine. But wind is an issue.

Firstly I understand this is a gas appliance, so there is a CO monitor next to the boiler.

I'm not averse to getting a gas engineer out. But want a solution before that. And hopefully somebody on here  might offer some suggestions.

1; I've altered the vent in the floor to reduce the gale blowing from underneath direct straight up into the boiler. This is an old caravan and adequate air is available. I've just changed the direction of that vent.

2; It has a standard cowl on the roof. Basically 5 aluminium discs and a cap.

My initial thoughts were that the wind was being blown down the vent, but I'm not too sure. I've made a temporary anti back  draft modification to the vent to see if this helped, a strip of aluminium around the fins similar to this.

image.png.b9afc4b35aae5b8a7a8d943a944188ec.png

But this had no effect.  

3; if I take the cover off the boiler, it will light in 20mph winds but as soon as the cover goes on the gas cuts out. ( The flame does not look stable though.)

4; I've read that sometimes airflow over the roof can cause turbulent air, my vent is around 400mm above the roof. Could this need increasing in height?

So can anyone offer something to try? 

Thanks in advance.

What about the rotating vents you sometimes see on conventional chimneys ? the sort that rotate so the open pipe always faces downwind.

Would one work on a gas appliance?  Someone else would have to advise if it was even legal to fit one to gas heater.

Or a wind break fitted on the 'van roof to shield from the prevailing wind, but that would not work when the wind comes from the wrong direction.

• Thanks 1