Are new slabs worth it?

Bemak

In the process of pricing a renovation project (posted about previously on here) and as part of the conversation with the contractor we briefly discussed the value in digging out the existing slab and putting in a new one. He said that it would probably cost about €5-6k to do it, but that wouldn't include the knock-ons of demolishing and rebuilding existing partitions and a new stairs (new floor level would be slightly higher). So you're probably talking €10-12k to do it really. Would I be better of spending that money elsewhere or is it a good investment?

The existing floors are quite good albeit a bit cold with the lack of insulation (1800's house). The floors in the kitchen, bathroom and downstairs bedroom are about 50mm higher than the hall and sitting room (for some reason) so it would give an opportunity to unify everything. That being said, I could raise the hall and sitting room independently to match the rest. 

Just curious to know if anyone else decided to hold off doing something similar and if they regret not doing it at the time?

1 minute ago, markc said:

Replacement floors make a massive difference. My mother in laws kitchen was cold damp and pretty miserable. Dug out, insulation and replaced and it’s now completely different.

Good to hear. No doubt there would be an improvement. I haven't the final price back yet so it'll probably become apparent quite quickly if it's a runner. 

5 minutes ago, Bemak said:

Good to hear. No doubt there would be an improvement. I haven't the final price back yet so it'll probably become apparent quite quickly if it's a runner. 

Not a nice job to do, material cost about £2K pre covid and 2 of us for 4 days doing the work. This weekend done a similar cellar dig out for another relative (I really must say no to freebies for family)

4 minutes ago, markc said:

Not a nice job to do, material cost about £2K pre covid and 2 of us for 4 days doing the work. This weekend done a similar cellar dig out for another relative (I really must say no to freebies for family)

ya definitely not a nice job. It means removing more of the existing fabric than I initially had intended too might be worth it. In my case it would allow me to install a radon barrier and sump also which is a consideration too. Good luck with your cellar dig - you're very good