What is this? K-rend?

Roger440

On my nice new barn, we have this issue going on. 

Its clearly going to fall off soon.

But i just wanted to know what it is? Hopefully the buildhub massive will know.

The end of the building is done as 4 seperate areas with plastic edgoing. Only one has a problem. So pondering my options to repair?

Clearly the lack of any roof overhang isnt great, but i think the primary cause is that the gutter has been leaking and running down the wall, and got under it.

IMG_20221023_091146_resized_20221106_070100732.jpg

IMG_20221023_091149_resized_20221106_070138126.jpg

Sorry to see this. But welcome to the "failed thin coat render" club.

When did the damage occur?  Let me guess last winter when it was cold, wet and lashing with wind driven rain?  It looks like this render is applied direct to concrete blocks? or is that ICF blocks?

I hope you get more help than I did. You have probably seen my threads about my (as yet unresolved) issues with my own render.  Mine is a different make to yours, and on a different wall build up, so perhaps not directly comparable.

In my case, the manufacturer BAUMIT and their agents were all completely useless and disinterested in finding the cause for the failure.  You would think having spent several £0000 buying their material, they just might want to find out what went wrong and find a resolution so you were a happy customer happy to recommend their product and customer care, but all they did was blame poor workmanship, without even showing the courtesy of sending someone to have a look and see what actually happened.  They don't seem to comprehend that attitude only results in me pointing out the failings I have had and lack of customer care and not recommending their product.  

Anyway in my case, I believe (but as I say unconfirmed) that wind driven rain managed to penetrate the top coat, and soak into the slightly porous base coat, and then hard frost caused the water to expand and break down the base coat which turned to powder.

Some close up photos of the bits that have failed and a narrative of exactly when and how it failed might help to build up a picture.

If you do approach the supplier or their agent, I hope you get more satisfaction and help than I did from Baumit.

It was like this when i bought it, so i have no recourse to anything.

Its also, id guess, up to 20 years old? Based on the fact that roof cap sheets are applied over it, and thats when it was built.

Its concrete blockwork.

Its well sheltered, hence the "green" look!

But you comments are not filling me with reasons to repair it.

Given only one end of the building/barn (that i cant see) is done, and the rest is bare concrete block, it serves no useful purpose.

But stripping it all off doesnt leave a clean wall either. And im also aware that the current shelter from a massive bank of conifers will "disappear" at some point, leaving it rather exposed to the west.

That’s monocouche that’s been beaded into quoins, it’s not thin coat render. 
What’s happened is the render had delaminated from the substrate, if you have a small overhang from a roofline or as you say a leaking gutter chances are you’ve had water ingress and after a few frosts delamination has started and this is where you are now. 

7 hours ago, Roger440 said:

It was like this when i bought it, so i have no recourse to anything.

Its also, id guess, up to 20 years old? Based on the fact that roof cap sheets are applied over it, and thats when it was built.

Its concrete blockwork.

Its well sheltered, hence the "green" look!

But you comments are not filling me with reasons to repair it.

Given only one end of the building/barn (that i cant see) is done, and the rest is bare concrete block, it serves no useful purpose.

But stripping it all off doesnt leave a clean wall either. And im also aware that the current shelter from a massive bank of conifers will "disappear" at some point, leaving it rather exposed to the west.

Hi Dave, what’s the problem you have? Im a renderer and apply a lot of baumit products, maybe I could give you some advice? 

2 hours ago, themucky1 said:

Hi Dave, what’s the problem you have? Im a renderer and apply a lot of baumit products, maybe I could give you some advice? 

Some bedtime reading.

Make any useful comments on the third of those threads please to save taking this one off thread.

4 hours ago, themucky1 said:

That’s monocouche that’s been beaded into quoins, it’s not thin coat render. 
What’s happened is the render had delaminated from the substrate, if you have a small overhang from a roofline or as you say a leaking gutter chances are you’ve had water ingress and after a few frosts delamination has started and this is where you are now. 

Thanks. Are 100% certain of that?

I think the lack of overhang is releatively easily fixed, as is the gutter. 

Much as id not choose it myself, especially given where it is, its probably cheaper to repair the damaged part than remove it all and do something else.

On 07/11/2022 at 11:04, Roger440 said:

Thanks. Are 100% certain of that?

I think the lack of overhang is releatively easily fixed, as is the gutter. 

Much as id not choose it myself, especially given where it is, its probably cheaper to repair the damaged part than remove it all and do something else.

Yep I’m certain 

• Like 1