Please advise on heating solution for double garage

back2thefuture

Hey all,

I hope you are all well.

We have a detached double garage. Internal space is around 36sqm. it is single brick with two up and over garage doors and a side door.

The idea was to store a car in there and use it as a bit of workshop, with my tools in there etc...typical man cave!

The floor is your typical concrete floor at the moment and I was going to get it tiled and emperor paint on the wall. In addition I was going to get ceiling plasterboarded with lights etc.

My question is re heating. As the weather has gotten worse the walls feel damp but there is no sign of any water anywhere. What can I do to add heat to the garage? Wall mounted heaters? I have no idea about this stuff so any advice would be great...

Many thanks

Up and over doors are always draughty, plus single skin walls it is going to loose heat as fast as you put it in. Main problem with a workshop is condensation. I have lathe, milling machine, big table saw etc. so I have 2 oil filled rads with thermostats set to keep temp around 10 degrees. Then a fan heater if it’s cold and I’m working in there.

If you only want to heat it when using it as a workshop I would use either electric fan heaters or a portable gas fire. I have used one of this type in a garage. They blast you with IR heat while warming up the room.  However if you are doing wood work they are pretty dangerous. Get a few shavings in there or knock it over and you could have a big fire. 

91YhtDLl1hL._AC_SX679_.jpg.e921ba893bd59245a5fd0b9e88035e1d.jpg

Cold can be good. Rust is a chemical reaction and goes faster at higher temperatures.

If you start insulating and plasterboarding best do it to Building Regs standards. Last I looked some of the insulation companies have detail drawings for insulating/converting a single brick garage to a habitable room.