Radon barrier not taped on the joints

DeanoFromTheDock

Hello all,

I thought i was on top of everything but i think ive come across an issue..

my slab was poured last week to the spec but ive noticed that the radon barrier has not been taped at the joints coming over the brick work.. so this tells me it has not been taped at all throughout the slab. i wasnt on site to oversee this

i can still add a new membrane but that would be over the top of the slab which would be a hassle for flooding but something i might get peace of mind over?

what are the thoughts of the self build world on this please

Depending on your location, it is possible to be locally outside the radon risk area, while people are in the habit of specifying it as standard.

There are other risk reducers too, such as being on a hill....in my opinion.

Would radon gas force its way through a lapped joint? Probably not, but can't demonstrate it.

I don't understand your comment about flooding. 

Your careless builder should be lucky to be allowed to supply another membrane rather than break it out and start again.

21 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Depending on your location, it is possible to be locally outside the radon risk area, while people are in the habit of specifying it as standard.

There are other risk reducers too, such as being on a hill....in my opinion.

Would radon gas force its way through a lapped joint? Probably not, but can't demonstrate it.

I don't understand your comment about flooding. 

Your careless builder should be lucky to be allowed to supply another membrane rather than break it out and start again.

all rectified today, they supplied another barrier and went on top of the slab and everything taped as should be..

the flooding comment was tongue and cheek, basically ive got a liner for a swimming pool on my slab holding water as ffl is 195mm above the finished slab

15 hours ago, nod said:

As above 

Taping a radon barrier is real basic stuff 

Your builder either didn’t know this or didn’t care 

If you have noticed this BC will 

Tell him to sort it out 

thank you for the reply.. i contacted BC and they are happy.. bloody builders trying to save me money haha

9 hours ago, DeanoFromTheDock said:

thank you for the reply.. i contacted BC and they are happy.. bloody builders trying to save me money haha

Yes

To be fair I’m working on a large house  that has a radon barrier as part of the design We’ve no radon in our area