Solid floor cracked/ broken near skirting board

Monty2468

Our mid 60’s solid floor has broken up at the edges were the carpet gripper has been fitted, and I need to repair it without causing any damp issues.

The floor consists of a thin tile on top of a black layer (15mm) of something ? On top of concrete. I was thinking of coating everything solid with SBR, then bringing back to level with a strong sharp sand mix, then painting on a liquid DPM ? Or have I got that wrong ?

There is also a 5mm gap between the floor and the wall. Can I mortar this up as well to prevent drafts, or is it an expansion gap ? So maybe use either foam or a urethane sealant ?

Thanks for your help

5FF96FB0-FC02-4CD4-B72C-D1855B872FCA.jpeg

2CAEE87B-522B-46F2-88DA-A1B9431600C9.jpeg

Looks like tile on top of bitumen, probably shrunk back from the wall over time. Filling with foam or flexible sealer will be ok. Grippers really should have been glued or drilled and screwed on that floor.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Monty2468 said:

I was thinking of coating everything solid with SBR, then bringing back to level with a strong sharp sand mix, then painting on a liquid DPM ?

Sounds ok to me.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Monty2468 said:

There is also a 5mm gap between the floor and the wall. Can I mortar this up as well to prevent drafts, or is it an expansion gap ? So maybe use either foam or a urethane sealant ?

Normally there is perimeter insulation. Probably get it at Screwfix or Toolstation.

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

I was thinking of this stuff but unfortunately £33 a roll. Might be cheaper elsewhere or someone might have the short length you need.

https://www.toolstation.com/jg-speedfit-edge-strip/p74324

Perimeter ( expansion ) insulation is only really necessary on a heated slab? A bit OTT if it isn’t heated IMO. 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Liquid DPM first, and flick some sand over it whilst wet to provide a key. 

You don’t want to bring damp up to the surface and then try and hold it back from there, far better to keep it out of ( below ) the new filler material. ;) 

Thanks Nick, after the liquid DPM, do I then need SBR on top, or OK to just concrete onto the liquid DPM back to level ?

Also, should I concrete in the small gap between floor and wall, or just use expanding foam ? Again thinking about cold air/damp tracking from wall to floor ?

I appreciate the help

19 hours ago, markc said:

Looks like tile on top of bitumen, probably shrunk back from the wall over time. Filling with foam or flexible sealer will be ok. Grippers really should have been glued or drilled and screwed on that floor.

Thanks for the info Mark

• Like 1