outbuilding concrete floor - segmentation doable?

TANK

Hey guys

I'm (finally) just about to get cracking on laying down my floor in the block shed/outbuilding that I built last year (I've kinda been distracted by a patio plus a multitude of other things...). 

I'm doing everything myself, and thinking that a 6x2.5m area is a bit much to tackle in one go. 

My idea has been to lay it in 3 separate blocks. This way i don't have to completely empty the stuff out of the building, I can just move it down away from the first area, then move it back when the first part has cured. 

It will consist of:

- sand blinding

- dpm

- 50mm insulation

- 50mm concrete

As you can see from the level of insulation, I'm not overly fussed with the floor - the uilding is primarily for storage but I will want to use it now and then as a basic workshop, games room etc. 

Sooo, what I'm essentially asking is, is it possible to lay a third of the insulation, shutter it off and do a pour, then move to the middle third and do the same, etc? 

Will this method likely lead to level issues/thermal property issues/other problems?

I am a novice! 

cheers all. 

You lay one slab section but incorporate bars sticking out that are part of that slab. You cover the sticky out sections with say Denso tape. Cast your next section. Allows the slabs to move laterally but not up and down. In the gap you can either leave the shuttering or remove and fill with tar, an SBR laden mortar mix, mastic atop foam backer rods etc. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Monolithic concrete pours are always stronger than doing three separate pours. Not sure why, but the joins are prone to cracking. I would get a temporary tent or something to store everything outside so you can do the floor in one go.

i was thinking that there would be a small break between the 3 sections where the shuttering is, and that three smaller ones would be stronger and less likely to break than one larger long one... 

maybe I'm looking at this wrong. 

would said gap at the shuttering be a bleed point for thermal retention? 

cheers