VAT invoice Complete Order - Bathroom

We have an invoice for supply of all bathroom items which include a bathroom cabinet which are all listed on the invoice but them only one total excluding VAT is shown, the VAT and the total price.

As I understand, VAT can not be claimed on a bathroom cabinet and some other basic items listed. 

The company will not itemise the individual items as they say it is a special package price but I guess they didn't want me to see if I could get some items cheaper elsewhere.

Has anyone else had this situation and what approach have they taken claiming the VAT

I had a receipt that had two items on, one could be reclaimed the other couldn't. I stapled it to an A4 sheet of paper with a note stating I was only reclaiming vat for the xyz item on this invoice and showed my working for the cost and vat calculation. Then I just put the cost of and calculated Vat figure on the spreadsheet.

In your case I would make an intelligent guess based on the prices other companies charge for the reclaimable items or deduct an amount for the non-reclaimable.

Edited by Temp

+1. My invoices and receipts had a few things that were not claimable.    I just made a note on the paperwork and in my covering letter and claimed the relevant reduced VAT amount.  

I picked up a few bits and pieces at middle of Lidl that were VAT claimable, light fittings etc, alongside my spuds etc.  I think I got my utility room tap from there, or Aldi or whatever I can’t quite remember.  Just crossed out the groceries etc.

The way I saw it was the admin officer at HMRC probably interpreted this as being (a) he knows what he can and cannot claim and (b) he’s being honest and not trying it on.

my claim went through no bother.