radiator - no balancing valve but an isolation valve

Question

I had a radiator installed (dual fuel with electric element).  There is a TRV on one side but no balancing valve on the other side.   There is an isolation valve on the other side.

Should I

(a) use the isolation valve as a balancing valve, or

(b) get the plumber back and ask him to put a balancing valve as he should done originally?

Thanks.  

18 minutes ago, Question said:

I had a radiator installed (dual fuel with electric element).  There is a TRV on one side but no balancing valve on the other side.   There is an isolation valve on the other side.

Should I

(a) use the isolation valve as a balancing valve, or

(b) get the plumber back and ask him to put a balancing valve as he should done originally?

Thanks.  

Do you have a pic of the isolation valve please? Do you mean they fitted a ballofix valve?

One of these?

786749DB-08A0-44C5-8085-0A308F914314.thumb.jpeg.a7ee61d1f5b42f231ebc07e665fc3fdc.jpeg

here is the photo when I remove the circular chrome cap.   Do I just turn the nut?

How does the ballofix affect the CH? 

How do you know that it is not full bore?  It has 15 written on it.

balancing.jpg

Edited by Question

51 minutes ago, Question said:

here is the photo when I remove the circular chrome cap.   Do I just turn the nut?

Turn the Allen head grub screw. ;) DON’T touch the nut! 

52 minutes ago, Question said:

How does the ballofix affect the CH? 

The seal wears out after a few years due to the ferrous particulate in the water eroding it.

53 minutes ago, Question said:

How do you know that it is not full bore?  It has 15 written on it.

30 years of fitting them ;) 

Thanks so much.  We have quite a few isolation valves on CH system.   Two recently installed ones are under wood flooring that would be difficult to access (see photo).

Some were recently installed.

What is the easiest way to sort this out?  Should I replace them with full bore ones? 

DSCN2043.JPG

Thanks again. 

They were recommendations from neighbours/friends, though I think they were not able to judge the quality of the work done (but the person seemed nice, and the final appearance looked good).

Many tradesmen are chancers, hoping their work will probably be alright.  That is not what a homeowner wants.   

We are now trying Checkatrade,   (though I suspect most of the reviews are made up). 

Edited by Question

1 hour ago, Question said:

We are now trying Checkatrade,   (though I suspect most of the reviews are made up). 

I have only used Checkatrade once and the experience was good. I had windows and a sliding door fitted and the sliding door wasn't working correctly. I asked the supplier/fitters to fix it but they were reluctant because it was a couple of hundred miles to my place. After trying everything I noticed they were on Checkatrade so gave them a bad review. Checkatrade got back to me, because the window company wasn't happy, and Checkatrade wanted all the details. They apparently told the window company that the review would stay up and they would be removed from the Checkatrade scheme if they didn't sort out my problem. I heard the next day from the window company and the problem was fixed quickly.

Bugger.

01FAA34E-2CB3-496A-8899-960C7006BD5B.jpeg.a5fdbf5cb851ea986fc88fc31b2cf170.jpeg

Just spotted the compression onto pushfit, which I despise, but here it is catastrophic. 
The ballofix isolation valve does t have enough depth to get the insert and the olive in far enough to be robust. 
That one, and any others like it, need cutting out ASAP. 
This is especially problematic if the pushfit is JG speed fit pipe , but I can see a hep2o elbow there so it’ll hopefully have the very thin stainless insert.

Sorry, but another issue to add to the rectify list……..

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Link

You’ll see the full bore isolations have a much fatter body than the poky little ones.

When they get removed, as to see inside one ;)  You can’t fit a pencil through one. 

0F32AC90-2A9B-4176-AEBC-5A824E0E34BB.jpeg.25f8079555e1874393b1d474ee2ee95c.jpeg

Can you recommend particular full-bore valves? Any have compact actuators, or are they all large levers?

3 hours ago, Spreadsheetman said:

Can you recommend particular full-bore valves? Any have compact actuators, or are they all large levers?

For heating, I only ever use gate valves or suitable metal seated lever ball valves.

For potable, eg hot / cold water, see the link I gave a few posts back ;) 

• Like 1