Gabion baskets

Paul A

We have just finished building some gabions. I bought ours from Fine Mesh Metals. I have some more to build next year and from the experience I have gained I will build my own baskets by crimping sheets of galvanised mesh. It should be a lot cheaper and the crimping tool and fittings are easy to buy. I faced the baskets with sandstone from the garden and backfilled with concrete blocks from the demolished garage.

https://www.gabionbaskets.co.uk/gabion/gabion-design-and-prices

866802485_Finishedgabions.thumb.JPG.5113eee666fcbd55f1b2c14f43ac614a.JPG

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Gone West said:

We have just finished building some gabions. I bought ours from Fine Mesh Metals. I have some more to build next year and from the experience I have gained I will build my own baskets by crimping sheets of galvanised mesh. It should be a lot cheaper and the crimping tool and fittings are easy to buy. I faced the baskets with sandstone from the garden and backfilled with concrete blocks from the demolished garage.

https://www.gabionbaskets.co.uk/gabion/gabion-design-and-prices

866802485_Finishedgabions.thumb.JPG.5113eee666fcbd55f1b2c14f43ac614a.JPG

Looks great, thanks for the info

You only put good stone at the front anyway and backfill with ballast etc. the “dividers” are just there to hold bigger cages in shape, not to separate materials as you need the gabions  to be packed tight or settlement makes a real mess of them.

also buy well not cheap! Poorly galvanised cages do not last, they are intended for temporary works only or where they will be covered over as works progress

Edited by markc
  • Thanks 1