Sandy/textured grout?

Temp

When we built our place 15 years ago the tiler was very good and we let him get on with it. Very pleased with his work but he's gone back to the EU and I can't trace him.

Where we have limestone/travertine he used a slightly rough textured/sandy grout that really suits the stone. Now looking to do another room and all the grout I've looked at in the tile shops are very smooth by comparison. The texture Im looking for is similar to that of BAL flex adhesive.

Is it possible he used adhesive instead of grout or does sandy textured grout exist? Recommendations?

Spoke to a tile shop and they think it was probably a coarse "sanded" grout, possibly made by Granfix which seems not to be made now.

Been reading up on sanded and unsanded grout and the sanded seems to be recommended for wider grout lines which we have in those rooms with stone floor tiles.

The room I've just tiled has 3mm joints so unsanded is probably going to be better there anyway. Picked up small bag of BAL Microban to try out and a test area looks OK so will go with that.

Edited by Temp