Radiator Tails Sealed with Hemp / Boss White Rust looking Discolouration

Hi,

I had a new radiator fitted around a month back and I've noticed the joints which are sealed with Hemp / Boss White appear to be slightly discoloured / rusty. This might simply be a little seepage before the joint sealed etc as there is not weeping from the joint that I can see / feel. Is this normal / expected? Might seem paranoid, but I'd rather get something resolved now rather than have a rusty radiator several months down the line.

I'm surprised Hemp / Boss White is used these days but many folks seem to swear by it.

Thanks...

IMG_8706.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

3 hours ago, Radian said:

Should have used PTFE tape.

Yup. Was it some old-skool fella? Hemp etc I only ever use on 1” 1/4 BSP and upwards, PTFE for everything else.

What make rads are they / where did you get them from?

Scabby Kudox stuff from B&Q / Screweys is born terminally ill.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Was it some old-skool fella? Hemp etc I only ever use on 1” 1/4 BSP and upwards, PTFE for everything else.

What make rads are they / where did you get them from?

Scabby Kudox stuff from B&Q / Screweys is born terminally ill.

Thanks again for your response Nick... Nice to hear from you.

The chap is in his late 30's like me so maybe the guy he did his apprenticeship with many years ago swore by this over PTFE. Reading online there is some debate about which is better but I think PTFE looks neater.

I'm not sure the stringy stuff actually is hemp, it looks white and stringy on the joints but I know Boss white was used as I saw the tub. Is the discoloration anything to be concerned about or just a little seepage before the joints / threads sealed?

The radiators are Henrad which I understand is a good quality radiator made by Stelrad. They came from a decent plumbers merchant.

• Like 1

Do you have a puddle on the floor? If not, ignore and move on 😁

It'll swell/rust up and seal... Looks like copious amounts of 55 if you ask me.

@NickfromwalesI'm about to buy a bunch of new type22's, can you advise a decent brand that doesn't break the bank? I was looking at screwfix/toolstation specials because I'm a tightwad... Although having used Myson on a previous job, they seem to have a nice offering.

Edited by HughF
  • Like 2

On 07/10/2022 at 11:44, HughF said:

It'll swell/rust up and seal... Looks like copious amounts of 55 if you ask me.

@NickfromwalesI'm about to buy a bunch of new type22's, can you advise a decent brand that doesn't break the bank? I was looking at screwfix/toolstation specials because I'm a tightwad... Although having used Myson on a previous job, they seem to have a nice offering.

What they may have used is what I buy for 1” - 1”1/4 and over;

Link

I used Stelrad, when still promoting setting fire to stuff to heat homes. They do a range which have slightly curved cosmetic grilles / side panels which look very nice for not much more. 
Myson stuff is very good too. 

Screwfix and B&Q, iirc, sell Kudox stuff. Big bags is shite when they first started selling them, half height convector panels presenting less kW per m2 is radiator size etc, crap covers, and almost every one I fitted was already rusting from the wet test. The biggest annoyance was the lack of paint at the pipe connection bosses where, when you removed the plastic factory plugs, you’d have bare metal exposed where the paint came away with the plug. That’s where the rust starts.

I looked at them the other week, and now seem improved. Can’t say I’d buy one though, sorry!!

PM me with which is your local branch of Wolesely ( aka Plumb Center ) and I’ll see what I can do for you. You’ll need a list of everything you need ready to go. 

• Like 1

On 07/10/2022 at 11:44, HughF said:

Not good advice. Sorry. 
By the time you next look, they’ll have started to rust, irreversibly if this IS water leaking and not pipe compound / other contamination from the installation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not good advice. Sorry. 
By the time you next look, they’ll have started to rust, irreversibly if this IS water leaking and not pipe compound / other contamination from the installation. 

I'll keep an eye... The plumber supplied and fitted the radiator and TRV so if it get's worse, I'll have him remedy.

17 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

What they may have used is what I buy for 1” - 1”1/4 and over;

Link

I used Stelrad, when still promoting setting fire to stuff to heat homes. They do a range which have slightly curved cosmetic grilles / side panels which look very nice for not much more. 
Myson stuff is very good too. 

Screwfix and B&Q, iirc, sell Kudox stuff. Big bags is shite when they first started selling them, half height convector panels presenting less kW per m2 is radiator size etc, crap covers, and almost every one I fitted was already rusting from the wet test. The biggest annoyance was the lack of paint at the pipe connection bosses where, when you removed the plastic factory plugs, you’d have bare metal exposed where the paint came away with the plug. That’s where the rust starts.

I looked at them the other week, and now seem improved. Can’t say I’d buy one though, sorry!!

PM me with which is your local branch of Wolesely ( aka Plumb Center ) and I’ll see what I can do for you. You’ll need a list of everything you need ready to go. 

Stelrad or myson - got it…. I’ll avoid kudox. 

Rad sizing is nearly finished and It’s looking like I can standardise on two sizes throughout, I’ll be in touch.