recommended companies for Restrictive Covenant searches ?

hi,

Speaking to a neighbour and he said there is a covenant on the area  (an old country estate,split up in 1940s) limiting plot sizes to a minimum.

i cant see it referenced in my Deeds - are there any recommended companies that do such searches ?  A solicitor would  probably be a rip off as Im

only in early stages of considering a build in my garden,

thanks.

In our previous house our garden and paddock was part of a larger estate grounds. Our deeds had some restrictive covenants. However, the larger area of land that it once formed part of had other covenants (no livestock) that we only became aware of when we sold it. Therefore, you can’t assume it won’t apply to your garden. Covenants run with the land. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rob Wisbech said:

thanks Nod,i did that  . does that mean if a restrictive covenant is not stated in my deeds it cannot be enforced ?

Is the land registered? Covenants can either be in the title document at the land registry or possibly in the local land charges register (which normally show up in solicitors searches).

Google says the latter are normally financial but I think they can also include the sort of thing you are talking about. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hm-land-registry-local-land-charges-programme/local-land-charges-programme

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1