Average kWh per year

Moggaman

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

That depends on the levels of insulation and air tightness.  150 square metre house, Highlands, 1400kWh consumed per year by my ASHP to heat the house.

Cheers for that… 1400 kWh for the ASHP alone?. Can I ask how u were able to quantity that accurately?

1 hour ago, Moggaman said:

Cheers for that… 1400 kWh for the ASHP alone?. Can I ask how u were able to quantity that accurately?

I set up a dual rate electricity meter that measures separately on it's 2 dials the electricity consumed by the ASHP when heating DHW and the electricity consumed when space heating.

• Thanks 1

Don't know it if helps, but my average year usage is 3530kWh just for the heat pump. At 28p/kWh that's £988.40. This compares favourably to oil boiler alternative (no mains gas). We have a mix of radiators and ufh, but mainly rads. 

Water demand is approx 15% of heating demand - believe this was based on occupation and bathroom assumptions. 

The use is actually considerably lower than the design assumptions - about half.  I think this is because it's an old house so conservative assumptions were appropriate, the wood fibre insulation is performing better than the u-value would suggest and the ASHP is in effectively a wind tunnel between the house and a barn. 

House floor area is 176m^2, but I can't give a heat demand because a proportion of that 3530kWh is for hot water, heating is helped with occasional log burner use, solar gain and SCOP of the heat pump not accounted for! 

• Thanks 1