Building regulations for full roof replacement and loft

Keymon

Hello,

I am doing this Victorian house renovation, and we decided to first remove the chimney, that was leaning and not supported right, replace the roof and rebuild the loft with a roof company. We found roof company, it seem established (long time in trade) registered in NFB, etc. They were willing to do all package, including drawings, building control, permitted development application, etc. and start ASAP. Unfortunately I did not sign a contract but a quote.

This builder/roofer also was sending me quotes for the rest of the house refurbishing.

As part of the quote I was told it would cover the full roof, the loft from start to end. Only decoration out.

I assumed that all project would be subject to building regulations, as it is >50% roof replaced. 

Soon we started to have some issues, regarding scope, big extra charges (too expensive, and should be seen in advance).

But now I have structural concerns: It seems they had issues with the gable wall where the chimney was, so they supported the steel beam on top of other beam using a post built of wall studs. The roof does not seem is not restrained, they have the plates just laying over the wall, with BIG gaps, it needs refitting. The gable wall is in very poor condition, and they are covering it up by building other stud wall in front.

On top, he just put 100mm rear part of the roof (BTW with HUGE gaps between insulation and rafters), which obviously does not comply Part L of insulation. He literally told me that 100mm was all he quoted for. He said "will put more if I grant the rest of the project".

I am now seriously asking him to stop and provide the building control details. If they inspected and approved these changes, and if a structural engineer reviewed that wall state and the beams/post. Also how they will retrain the wall, and the roof, etc. if BC covers all the project, etc.

Note: I asked a pair times for the building control details, but failed to send it so far.

They payment schedule I signed was +10% to quick off, +40% to start, +30% when the roof is "watertight" and +20% on completion. So far I paid 50% but they are already saying they will ask for the 30%.

What is my legal position here?

I am right assuming a quote like this MUST include all building control, and hence, be built at those spec?
What if they are not following this spec: Can I not pay until done?

What if they actually failed to do the building control notice, or do it for part of the project? I understood they are legally bound to do it, is that right? how can I enforce that?

Thank you

Edited by Keymon

Hi, sounds like you are just re roofing so no reason to involve BC. Yes you need the work doing properly but concentrate on this. Struggling to visualise the beam support points so some pics of this would be helpful.

What contract do you have? You are certainly within your rights to hold monies back.

contact BC yourself, express your concerns and see if they can/will pop in to have a look

Many companies use a private building control Siting that local Authority Building Control are a pain in the Arse (Code for thorough)

For a few hundred pounds you can bring in your own BC 

Call your local planning office Give them your planning number and arrange a visit 

This will P your contractor off But it sounds like your past this point already 

• Like 1

Why do people get in to this sort of mess time after time. There are two ways of doing building work - the owner draws up his plans, sorts out the build regs application and finds a builder to build strictly to his plans. - If he doesn't he is identifiably at fault. OR you enter a "design and build" contract where you specify what you want for a fixed price with full BC compliance. The builder designs it, looks after the applications, takes all the risk, and gets final payment once a completion cert is issued. 

Too many people don't work out who is carrying the design risk from day one, and get in to these sorts of situations, nor do people understand that risk has a cost - if you offload all the risk to the builder, you have to expect to pay for it.

• Thanks 1