Chipboard or Ply, 18mm or 22mm for Bathroom LVT

Tetrarch

I laid an Amtico floor about 20 years ago and whilst I was quite pleased with the outcome I did have a visible line across the bathroom where the plywood sheets were butt-joined

I'm in a new house with a new bathroom planned, and whilst I now consider Amtico overpriced I'm looking to lay LVT again, but definitely with a T&G sub-floor of some sort. 

My thoughts are that 22mm T&G ply would be the bees-knees in terms of spec for the floor . The hierarchy is probably:

A.  22mm T&G plywood

B.  18mm T&G plywood?

C.  22mm T&G chipboard?

D.  18mm T&G chipboard

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations that they would care to share?

Regards

Tet

T&G ply isn’t as good as T&G chip because the ply layers can leave longitudinal grain only allowing tongues  especially to break off easily. As above MR flooring chip with glued joints is bullet proof

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

Thank you both for your comments. I had assumed that becuase ply seemed to almost a requirement for the shower tray that it would be a superior product for the remainder of the floor. Is any filling required or even recommended for the joints prior to LVT or are they good enough as are? 

(You can tell that the previous experience really burns - 20 years of looking at an unremediable DIY mistake in a premium product)

Regards

Tet

Well my chipboard floor was new, all joints filled with d4 glue as they should be so no filling required (and the shower tray was installed on the chipboard). Ply is usually used to even out a floor, say floorboards which will curl, move etc.

Edited by joe90

I can see that my previous comment might easily be misinterpreted.

Following your comments I will now be using glued 22mm chipboard with PW under the shower tray, cut to exact dimensions and appropriately noggined

Thanks and regards

Tet

• 1 year later...

I'm afraid that I can't remember. I bought it from the same place that I bought the Amtico, but either I bought it by post and/or my email account doesn't go back far enough.

I do remember that it was highly potent stuff and I had a raging headache after doing just 5 sq m

Regards

Tet

• Like 1

My glued/interlocked chipboard has 8mm soundproofing mat underneath, that will compress to about 4mm as you walk on it. Room sizes are about 3m to 4m. I want to lay LVT, glued or click, but wonder if that that is risky with the 4mm compression - any thoughts?