Laying EDPM on 'damp' ply

phatboy

Hi all,

Due to spraining an ankle and the dreaded COVID, I didn't manage to get the EDPM onto the roof in the glorious summer we had, and will hopefully be doing it this weekend.

After the ankle injury, I was able to get someone to lay plastic sheeting over the entire flat roof (Ply, insulation, OSB, timbers all in situ), but I have seen that water has found its way under, and also condensation under the various scaffold boards holding it all down.

I'm fitting a Hertalan EDPM, with water based adhesive.  If the wood is 'a bit' wet, will that be OK?  I plan to uncover it all Saturday morning, to allow it to dry off as best I can and get some extra screws in where the ply has cupped a bit.  But I need to get the whole lot covered properly the same day, before the bloody rain returns!

Will I be OK?

Yes it will be fine, if using water based glue it’s better and easier to wet the ply or OSB first so the timber doesn’t suck  moisture out of the adhesive too quickly

Edited by markc

12 hours ago, markc said:

Yes it will be fine, if using water based glue it’s better and easier to wet the ply or OSB first so the timber doesn’t suck  moisture out of the adhesive too quickly

Lovely, that's what I was hoping to hear!  Interesting that you can wet it first..... never heard of that!