Clay Block Building

LSB

Hi Peeps

HID wants to build a wall using Clay Blocks which are glued, has anyone ever used these.

He saw an article in a magazine and wasn't even sure that you could get them in this country

This is a retaining wall to make a bank tidy so no concerns about a house.

Any experience on here.

Edited by LSB

They are being used much more now, the ‘mortar’ is glue so effectively the blocks rest on each other which means the bottom row must be flat and level because it is difficult to correct plumb as you build upwards

On 04/09/2022 at 13:38, LSB said:

Hi Peeps

HID wants to build a wall using Clay Blocks which are glued, has anyone ever used these.

He saw an article in a magazine and wasn't even sure that you could get them in this country

This is a retaining wall to make a bank tidy so no concerns about a house.

Any experience on here.

I laid thousands of them in Germany in the 90's  They were fine. You need to get the first course set bang on level in both directions then it's just like stacking them out. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2022 at 14:06, LSB said:

Anyone got any ideas where we could see some in the flesh, does the Swindon place have any

Yes the NSBRC has clay blocks, JUWO is the brand.  As others have said, been used on the continent for decades and I’m told over here, many Lidl stores built with these. I haven’t heard of them being used for retaining walls though (I am a simple wanna-be self builder though, so that carries no weight!); if the NSBRC is within your reach, go along and speak with one of their experienced members of staff/owners, they will try to help you.

On 20/09/2022 at 06:27, New to this said:

Yes the NSBRC has clay blocks, JUWO is the brand.  As others have said, been used on the continent for decades and I’m told over here, many Lidl stores built with these. I haven’t heard of them being used for retaining walls though (I am a simple wanna-be self builder though, so that carries no weight!); if the NSBRC is within your reach, go along and speak with one of their experienced members of staff/owners, they will try to help you.

a new Lidl has just been built right next door to my work factory which was built last year.  Exactly the same construction as our factory, big sheets, like SIPS, but with metal.  Unfortunately we are 200 miles from Swindon, but when I visit family in the SW I do go in, one of their shows this weekend, but couldn't do it.