Query re Building Regs conditions

Deejay_2

42 minutes ago, George said:

I'm going to be really pedantic... 

They are attic frames, because they aren't triangulated so they aren't trusses. 

Sorry. 

If you phone an attic truss manufacturer and ask for an attic truss I am sure they would not be so pedantic.

Normally attic trusses would have a vertical member at eaves height at each end, and a cross timber near the top at ceiling height, which would help to reduce the overall timber sizes and weight.  The top one would be a nuisance in very limited headroom so ask if that can be ommitted but it might make the timber sizes larger.

1 hour ago, George said:

I'm going to be really pedantic... 

They are attic frames, because they aren't triangulated so they aren't trusses. 

Sorry. 

Thanks for that - it will help me explain myself to the company.  Really I suppose all I need to do is ask if they will look at the plans and decide what we need and hopefully offer calculations.  When I phoned them ages ago I didn't have the plans for Building Control.  

45 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you phone an attic truss manufacturer and ask for an attic truss I am sure they would not be so pedantic.

Normally attic trusses would have a vertical member at eaves height at each end, and a cross timber near the top at ceiling height, which would help to reduce the overall timber sizes and weight.  The top one would be a nuisance in very limited headroom so ask if that can be ommitted but it might make the timber sizes larger.

OK - will do, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Update at 17 09 22 

I contacted the Timber Roofing Company and forwarded our plans for a quote.  I was quoted for attic trusses and Fink Trusses (another word I've added to my vocabulary).  Attic trusses are approx £1500 (inc VAT) more expensive than Finks but I assume the latter require more labour on site. 

I am attaching 3 plans they have sent showing different pitches - the 32 degree pitch is in accordance with our approved plans. 

I am considering approaching Planning to increase the height of the roof ridge by half a metre to accommodate the 38 degree pitch which appears to me from the plans to give a decent amount of space for storage and possibly, for example, a small office.  I think it's worth a try as I think it's advantageous having a roof that can be usefully used.     If Planning said no to our request, would it be feasible to dig down a further half metre to lower the whole building and increase the roof height/space or does that sound like massive expensive for little gain.  

The truss supplier was extremely helpful so the advice given to contact them worked in our favour.

Any thoughts/observations would be much appreciated.

PDF32 degree pitch drg 16 9 22.pdf PDF 38 degree pitch roof 16 9 22.pdf PDF 40 degree pitch roof 16 9 22.pdf