Exterior Shutters

sunflower

We’re in the last phases of designing our house, hoping to self build next year. It’s a barn style design, with oak frame, in rural Sussex.

I’ve always wanted to put exterior shutters on the south facing windows (the house is largely orientated south) and this summer has really confirmed that idea! 

Has anyone else fitted exterior shutters? 

In order for the shutters to be accessible upstairs, we probably need to have inward opening windows, as seen in France etc. we think the small loss of space inside is worth it. 

I’m curious as to other folk’s thoughts/strategies to combat the hot sun! 

any thoughts/advice appreciated 

Have a search of this forum for shutters/blinds/overheating etc etc all have been discussed at length. 

Won’t shutters make it pretty dark inside when deployed? Inward opening windows is a no brainier IMHO. 

1 hour ago, sunflower said:

We’re in the last phases of designing our house, hoping to self build next year. It’s a barn style design, with oak frame, in rural Sussex.

I’ve always wanted to put exterior shutters on the south facing windows (the house is largely orientated south) and this summer has really confirmed that idea! 

Has anyone else fitted exterior shutters? 

In order for the shutters to be accessible upstairs, we probably need to have inward opening windows, as seen in France etc. we think the small loss of space inside is worth it. 

I’m curious as to other folk’s thoughts/strategies to combat the hot sun! 

any thoughts/advice appreciated 

We have external venetians and they seem to refugee solar gain although our house isn’t finished yet! We like them as they still allow light through.