Slating of a wall around a window

BartW

Hi,

I am in the process of slating (learning to slate to be clear).

The whole task is fairly easy, but I am not sure how to best address around a window opening.

I got as far as the below. Rather than suggest how I would do it, can someone please share some knowledge? I have found multiple roof slating videos, just not this.

My slates are Cedral Thrutone. 600 x 300 and 100mm overlap.

Advice please :)

image.thumb.jpeg.97239e806f2ded751e1c38edc8685022.jpeg

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

Not my area of expertise but would have thought a “trim” was needed, coloured aluminium? What windows and cills are you having?

This is only going to be a fixed window into the bathroom downstairs. 

integrated aluminium window cill to extend beyond the wall. 
It will have EDPM flange bonded to the sides and top to prevent any water ingress through the window. 

then side cheeks to be clad in charred timber (general scheme all around). 

I just wonder if there should be some sort of flashband on sides and bottom, or not. 

the side edges will be finished off with a finishing trim, whilst the top with a head flashing trim. 

should I consider anything else?

• 2 months later...

Hi there @BartWjust interested to hear how you finished this, I would have been able to provide some suggestions had I seen your post before now!

Too late to flag this now for you at least however this may benefit other readers: the white staining on your slates is due to them getting wet, and remaining wet, while still in bundles. These slates must be kept bone dry until they are fixed in place.

On 01/11/2022 at 15:47, Annker said:

Hi there @BartWjust interested to hear how you finished this, I would have been able to provide some suggestions had I seen your post before now!

Too late to flag this now for you at least however this may benefit other readers: the white staining on your slates is due to them getting wet, and remaining wet, while still in bundles. These slates must be kept bone dry until they are fixed in place.

Hi,

Thanks for the comment. I have finished the wall, but still not finished the edge detail. So not too late. 

As for the staining, I read it is efflorescence, and can be rid of with vinegar diluted in water. I am yet to try :)