In-Ceiling Height Norm for Flats

Jack O

What are the normal in-ceiling heights you have come across for higher-end flats? The developer states the in-ceiling height is only 100mm. Photos I took towards the beginning of the building work suggest it might be higher + one TV ceiling installation Company didn't believe the 100mm height.

I am moving into a new-build flat in a month on the ground floor [building has three floors]. I wish to install an in-ceiling fold-down television. that requires a 200-250mm depth. Thank you!

57 minutes ago, Jack O said:

What are the normal in-ceiling heights you have come across for higher-end flats? The developer states the in-ceiling height is only 100mm. Photos I took towards the beginning of the building work suggest it might be higher + one TV ceiling installation Company didn't believe the 100mm height.

I am moving into a new-build flat in a month on the ground floor [building has three floors]. I wish to install an in-ceiling fold-down television. that requires a 200-250mm depth. Thank you!

It depends on many things, like what is the construction, steel frame and concrete might have 100mm where steels run but up to 350mm between them. However, I would bet my bottom dollar on it there is not anything like 200-250mm of clear free space. I think you will need a rethink. 

Things are tight, developers like to minimise wasted height, also developers like to keep buildings under the magic 18m for example as then fire regs are more onerous, fire fighting lifts, maybe sprinkers... so they try and keep it lean, although your development will be well under that (I would presume) architects and developers still stick to a fairly standard building detail. 

Put it this way, my mechanical consultant colleagues often get called to site to discuss duct routes on flats as the voids are not big enough, even with flat duct!

Dare I say it, a fold down TV sounds a bit OTT - save your money, there is a recession coming. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1