Spraying onto fresh plaster

James94

Hi,

Just purchased a Wagner control pro 250m, got a large 4 bed to paint. I’ve never used an airless sprayer before so I will be starting off in areas that will be hidden by floor to ceiling kitchen units etc.

I’ve read a few of the older posts, just wondering if anyone has any advice on which paint to use? I’ve read some paints don’t need watering down for mist coats which I thought all fresh plaster should receive.

should any filling and sanding take place once the first/ mist coat has been sprayed of before hand?

James

Can anyone offer any advice for a newbie spraying a house? also best way to achieve straight lines around reveals as I don’t think what I’ve been left with will look very good after spraying. As you can see on photo, would you take plaster back a little and caulk for straight lines.ED1C0CAF-31EA-45C1-A105-EA450D85EE94.thumb.jpeg.d727423875a0c8abd6a4caad8903c8a1.jpeg

James

Hi James,

First I'm a DIYer not a professional so it was just my experience and probably didn't do it all as it should be done.

I used the same sprayer and was impressed with the finish, key thing don't apply too much paint, keep moving the gun and try to keep the same distance from the wall.

I practised on walls that were going to be hidden and I did get a few runs initially but as I said don't apply too much paint, more light coats are better than trying to get it on in one coat.

I decided to use Matt on the ceiling and all walls to get the mist coat on. I then put the final coats on the ceiling as matt and have decided to apply silk coats on the wall by roller.

The finish is so smooth that any touching up later with a roller or brush will show and walls are likely to need touching up, I also didn't fancy trying to mask the ceiling to spray the walls.

Overspray is suppose to be minimal but I noticed it went everywhere including all over my clothes, wear a mask, gloves and goggles, the goggles do need to be wiped often so keep plenty of wipes and kitchen roll handy especially when doing the ceiling.

It is slow to mask up, don't rush it, paint will sneak past any gap or tape not pressed fully to the surface, fast to spray and you need a lot of time to clean the equipment.

One problem I had was with windows where the paint that sprayed onto the polythene just ran down on the windows sills, just leave it to dry and gently sand.

I didn't have plaster that went on to the frame so can't comment on that.

What I did do is double mask up, first I masked around all windows just with tape, then taped the polytene sheet with tape to the first tape I applied.

I did thin the paint by about 10%

Loads of vids of what to do / how to thin paint and types etc ;) 

Take a huge amount of time to mask up around windows and doors etc, as cleaning off overspray will take 10x longer :/ Short cuts always take 3x longer or more, so mask and spray in a controlled fashion for an easy life. If you don't put in the effort with masking, you'd be far better off with a roller.

Follow the guidelines for cleaning and stowing the machine after each use, religiously. 

Your idea to use dead spaces for practice is a robust plan. If spraying in this weather it'll dry as you're putting it on, so will be a much bigger challenge to get a good result. Possibly spray early mornings only, and not after midday.

@NewToAllOfThis @Nickfromwales 

Sorry for the late response but been busy, thanks for the great advice and video. I have been watching a few videos on Techniques for applying but I think getting it right will come with practise. I’ve applied a mist coat to the upstairs and a second to a cupboard and the vaulted ceiling. The cupboard was for practise with neat paint, I found that I needed to up the pressure to 3 for it to run ok.  The vaulted ceiling had its second coat so we could fit the chandelier and remove internal scaffolding to enable floor prep for UFH/screed.

There are a few lines in the mist coat from not getting the overlapping correct(faint plaster showing) but this seems to be hidden with the second coat.

I did get a price for £700-800 for someone to come and spray it over a weekend, that was me doing all the sanding/filling/masking and buying the paint. Which would have taken more of my time away from prepping ground floor for screed. So decided to do it myself and now I’m glad I did. 

FCB05F4C-AA74-483A-9279-2988E8B6F91D.jpeg

1 hour ago, James94 said:

I did get a price for £700-800 for someone to come and spray it over a weekend, that was me doing all the sanding/filling/masking and buying the paint. Which would have taken more of my time away from prepping ground floor for screed. So decided to do it myself and now I’m glad I did. 

£400 a day for spraying and washing their hands of all the ACTUAL work would have been a piss-take tbh. Good for you getting your hands dirty :)