2x electric leaf blowers/vacuums both not working. Anything obvious to check?

Oxbow16

Hi

They've not been used for two or three years and have been stored in a shed. They worked fine when last used. I've checked the fuses and they're fine. Is there anything else obvious I can check or is it time for a new one? Although saying that, I plan to use it to blow out all of the loose pointing in my walls before a re-point, so if there's something better to use then I'm all ears. An air compressor comes to mind, and perhaps would be useful for other stuff. But I don't know the first thing about them and wouldn't know where to start, which made me think repairing what I have or getting a secondhand replacement might be the cheapest / easiest option.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

Hi

They've not been used for two or three years and have been stored in a shed. They worked fine when last used. I've checked the fuses and they're fine. Is there anything else obvious I can check or is it time for a new one? Although saying that, I plan to use it to blow out all of the loose pointing in my walls before a re-point, so if there's something better to use then I'm all ears. An air compressor comes to mind, and perhaps would be useful for other stuff. But I don't know the first thing about them and wouldn't know where to start, which made me think repairing what I have or getting a secondhand replacement might be the cheapest / easiest option.

Cheers

Is the power source live? But seriously, extension cables and circuits and breakers all on for sure?

Can you check the motors spin freely first to prove they are not seized or nests in them?

No humming noises or anything from the units?

Then I would start doing tests to check continuity if doing it safely, or if like me, live power to the motor, prove power to the motor first, if none, work your way back to the issue.

If motors are getting power to them then check brushes, if brushed. If brushless there is generally less to check but looking at the motors for signs of overheating or burnout etc. 

Depending on the motors, could be a start capacitor, but that would lead to a humming noise on power up usually.

Could be corrosion on the switch terminals if been sad unused for so long. Might just need a clean internally.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Many thanks for the replies.

There was no humming noise that I remember hearing.  I wasn't listening out for it though, and I do have tinnitus, so there's every chance I missed it! 

I've had the machine apart this morning and checked at various points for continuity with a mutlimeter, as suggested. All seemed well to begin with, and I think it has led me to “the problem”. I’ve put that in inverted commas because if it is the reason for no power, then it isn’t so much a problem but more a reminder to read the manual!!!

From what I can tell, there is a double microswitch where the bag connects. So without the bag connected = no power. As I was planning to use it as a blower rather than a sucker, I didn’t think I would need to connect the bag, and certainly didn’t think it would prevent the machine starting up. Of course I might be wrong on this, but there’s no continuity in the latter stages of the wiring until the microswitches are pressed.

I’ll put the machine back together a little later and see if I’m right. In the meantime, if anyone can confirm that what I’ve described sounds likely (or unlikely) then please chime in so I can carry out any further checks while still apart. I’ll post a photo or three of the innards for reference.

20 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Can you check the motors spin freely first to prove they are not seized or nests in them?

Sorry to be daft, but aside from the blade piece for mulching the leaves, what else should I try spinning by hand? Can't see anything obvious...

19 hours ago, Ajn said:

A brush ... less likely to come back in your face/eyes and all those ears.

This part of the house has old stone walls. We’ve removed the concrete render and pointing, and are now back to the lime pointing. It’s really crumbly and to quite a depth in places. So while I plan to use a brush in the main, I was planning to follow up with the blower to get to the parts other brushes cannot reach.

Thanks again

IMG_20220810_110604412.jpg

IMG_20220810_110638046.jpg

IMG_20220810_110650205.jpg

Edited by Oxbow16

One other question please...

The long black tubey bit comes in two sections. The machine says that they must be used together, but for what I have planned (blowing out the dust between stones) it would be a lot easier to use it with just one of the pieces attached, so that it is half the length. Can anyone think of a reason why that would be a bad idea?

Many thanks

13 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

One other question please...

The long black tubey bit comes in two sections. The machine says that they must be used together, but for what I have planned (blowing out the dust between stones) it would be a lot easier to use it with just one of the pieces attached, so that it is half the length. Can anyone think of a reason why that would be a bad idea?

Many thanks

Could it be to make the tube long enough that a small hand/arm cannot get up the tube when the fan is running? Might be a safety through distance thing. I see no reason technically why not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All good and working great!  Really helpful for removing the dust and loose debris in the deeper and harder to reach areas.  So I'm giving the wall a good brush down first and then following up with the blower for one last clean up.  Better than doing it all with the blower, not least of all with today's energy prices!  :)  

Many thanks